How do I Find Average Force in a Force vs Time graph?

In summary, to find the average force in a Force vs Time graph, think about the height of a certain rectangle and its area. The area under the graph represents the impulse or change in momentum. The time-averaged force is the constant force that would produce the same change in momentum. Therefore, to calculate the time-averaged force, divide the impulse by the time.
haroldham
This is really simple, but I can not remember how to find the average force in a Force vs TIme graph.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the height of a "[certain] rectangle." Think area.

robphy said:
Think about the height of a "[certain] rectangle." Think area.
Ok, you completely lost me, but I think I figured it out. This certain graph increases, remains constant, then decreases. Do I take the final force of each section, add it to the initial force of each section, divide that value by the time of that section, then average those together?

Presumably, you mean "time-averaged force".
The area under your graph is equal to the impulse (ie, the change in momentum).
The "time-averaged force" you seek is the constant force you would apply in the same amount of time in order to obtain the same change in momentum. Translate the last sentence into facts about the graph.

Oh, ok I get it. It is impulse divided by time.

1. How do I determine the average force from a force vs time graph?

To find the average force from a force vs time graph, you will need to calculate the area under the curve. This can be done by dividing the graph into smaller sections and finding the area of each section. Then, add all the areas together and divide by the total number of sections. This will give you the average force.

2. What is the significance of finding the average force from a force vs time graph?

The average force from a force vs time graph gives a measure of the overall force exerted during a period of time. This can be useful in analyzing the overall impact or effect of a force on an object.

3. Can I find the average force by simply taking the midpoint of the force vs time graph?

No, taking the midpoint of the graph will only give you an estimate of the average force. To get a more accurate measure, it is necessary to calculate the area under the curve as mentioned in the first question.

4. Is it possible to find the average force if the force vs time graph is not a straight line?

Yes, it is still possible to find the average force even if the graph is not a straight line. You will need to divide the graph into smaller sections and calculate the area under the curve for each section. Then, add all the areas together and divide by the total number of sections to get the average force.

5. How can I use the average force from a force vs time graph in real-life situations?

The average force from a force vs time graph can be used in various real-life situations such as analyzing the impact of a force on an object, determining the average acceleration of an object, or calculating the work done by a force. It can also be used to compare the strength or magnitude of different forces acting on an object.