Radio Telescope at Arecibo, Puerto Rico

In summary, the problem is to find the minimum resolution angle between two stars using the Arecibo radio telescope at a frequency of 300 MHz. The formula used is theta_min=1.22(lambda)/d, where lambda is the wavelength and d is the diameter of the reflecting bowl. The answer is expected in milliradians. After converting the frequency to wavelength, the answer can be found to be in radians and then converted to milliradians.
JSapit
Minimum Resolution Angle Problem

Homework Statement

The radio telescope at Arecibo, Puerto Rico, has a reflecting spherical bowl of 295 m diameter. Radio signals can be received and emitted at various frequencies with appropriate antennae at the focal point of the reflecting bowl. At a frequency of 300 MHz, what is the angle between two stars that can barely be resolved?

(The answer is supposed to be in mrads)

Homework Equations

(theta)min=1.22(lambda)/d

Lambda=(3.0E8)/(frequency)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting the frequency to wavelength, and then plugging the wavelength, which I found to be 1m, and the given information into the first equation that I wrote down. The answer that I entered, .004136, wasn't correct, so I'm not sure if it's a wrong unit conversion, or I'm doing this wrong. First off, is the answer that I found in degrees? If it is, then would I need to convert it to radians? Secondly, what do they mean by mrads? Is it milli-radians?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer will be in radians. Yes mrads means milliradians.

Solved it. Thank you Kurdt.

1. What is the purpose of the Arecibo Radio Telescope?

The Arecibo Radio Telescope is primarily used for conducting scientific research in the field of radio astronomy. It is used to study various astronomical objects such as stars, galaxies, and pulsars, as well as to detect and analyze radio signals from potential extraterrestrial civilizations.

2. How does the Arecibo Radio Telescope work?

The Arecibo Radio Telescope works by collecting and amplifying radio waves emitted by celestial objects. It consists of a large spherical reflector dish, measuring 305 meters in diameter, which focuses the radio waves onto a receiver at the focal point. The receiver then converts the radio waves into electrical signals that can be analyzed by scientists.

3. What makes the Arecibo Radio Telescope unique?

The Arecibo Radio Telescope is unique in several ways. It is the largest single-aperture telescope in the world, with a diameter of 305 meters. It is also one of the most sensitive radio telescopes, able to detect extremely weak signals from objects billions of light years away. Additionally, the telescope's location in a natural sinkhole provides a stable foundation and minimizes interference from radio signals on Earth.

4. What discoveries have been made using the Arecibo Radio Telescope?

The Arecibo Radio Telescope has made numerous groundbreaking discoveries since it began operation in 1963. Some notable examples include the first direct image of an asteroid, the first evidence of ice on Mercury, and the first detection of a binary pulsar. It has also played a key role in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, including the famous "Wow!" signal in 1977.

5. Is the Arecibo Radio Telescope still in operation?

Yes, the Arecibo Radio Telescope is still in operation and continues to be a vital tool for scientific research. However, it has faced some challenges in recent years, including damage from hurricanes and earthquakes. In November 2020, the telescope's receiver platform collapsed, but efforts are underway to repair and restore the telescope to full functionality.