Preparing 0.1M Nitric Acid (1000ml, 65% Nitric Acid)

• Thread starter kaykay11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, to make 1000ml of 0.1M Nitric acid with 65% Nitric acid, you can use the formula M = ((% x Specific gravity)/Molecular weight) x 10 to calculate the moles of HNO3 needed. Then, using the formula weight, you can find the number of grams of pure HNO3 and adjust for the 65% concentration. Finally, dilute the resulting solution with water to reach a total volume of 1000ml.
kaykay11
how do I make 1000ml of 0.1M Nitric acid with 65% Nitric acide (specific gravity 1.42g) and Molecular weight 63g/mol

Physics news on Phys.org
Diluting acid with water

Homework Statement

To make 1000ml of 0.1M of Nitric acid with 65% Nitric acid.
Specific gravity= 1.42g/
Molecular weight= 63g/mol

Homework Equations

M = ((% x Specific gravity)/Molecular weight) x 10
cava = cfvf

The Attempt at a Solution

You presented a formula in your Relevant equations section. If you trust this formula then just substitute the values for the described information.

You could start with the number of moles of HNO3 you would want. If you know the moles of HNO3, then use formula weight to find number of grams of pure HNO3; but you know that your source is not pure, but instead is 65% w/w. so you have two more steps... can you derive them?

1. How do I calculate the amount of 65% nitric acid needed to prepare 1000ml of 0.1M nitric acid?

To calculate the amount of 65% nitric acid needed, you will first need to determine the molarity of the 65% solution. This can be done by multiplying the concentration (65%) by the density of the solution (1.42 g/ml) and dividing by the molar mass of nitric acid (63.01 g/mol). This will give you a molarity of approximately 10 M. To prepare 1000ml of 0.1M nitric acid, you will need to dilute 10ml of 65% nitric acid with enough water to make a total volume of 1000ml.

2. What safety precautions should I take when handling 65% nitric acid?

65% nitric acid is a strong acid and can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin. It is also corrosive to metals and can release toxic fumes if mixed with certain chemicals. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat, when handling this acid. It should also be stored in a well-ventilated area away from other chemicals.

3. Can I use tap water to dilute the 65% nitric acid?

No, it is not recommended to use tap water to dilute 65% nitric acid. Tap water contains impurities that can react with the acid and affect the accuracy of your solution. It is best to use deionized or distilled water for dilution.

4. How should I store the prepared 0.1M nitric acid solution?

The prepared 0.1M nitric acid solution should be stored in a tightly sealed, labeled container in a cool, dry place. It is recommended to use the solution within a few days to ensure its accuracy.

5. Can I use a different concentration of nitric acid to prepare 0.1M nitric acid?

Yes, you can use a different concentration of nitric acid to prepare the 0.1M solution. However, you will need to recalculate the amount needed based on the new concentration. It is important to use the correct concentration to ensure the accuracy of your solution.