Can Increasing Pipe Diameter Enhance Home Water Cooling Systems?

In summary: Home-Depot-Evaporator-Cooling-System-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation-Wire-Loom-Insulation/product-page?id=100018959&cm_mmc=Social-Media-_-Product-_-Evaporator-Cooling-System-_-Wrap-_-Wire-_-Loom&cm_mmc=Social-Media-_-Product-_-Evaporator-Cooling-System-_-Wrap-_-Wire-_-Loom&cm_mmc=Social-Media-_-Product-_-Evaporator-Cooling-System-_-Wrap
Mechatronics
Hello,

First of all, i would like to introduce myself to Physics Forums. I am a Mechatronics Engineering Graduate. Me and my friend have a small project for the house, since we live in a hot area, we decided to design something to cool water at home. We came up with an idea which says that we have a whole refrigeration system, we will just modify the evaporator but we are not sure of what we are doing since we lack experience.

The idea is that we have a 1 inch pipe coming out of the pump, we decided to increase the diameter to 2 inch to reduce the velocity of the fluid(water) and give more time for the fluid to get cooled. The evaporator copper tubes will be covering the 2 inch copper pipe. We can calculate the heat transfer through the surfaces. My question is, what type of insulation we need to cover the evaporator to avoid exposing it to the sun lights and another question in mind as well, if the flow stopped in the pipe by switching off the pump pr any reason, is there any chance of blockage to occur since the compressor will keep on working whille the flow is zero. Is there any idea to avoid the blockage. we thought of adding flow sensor after the evaporator and connect it to a controller but i am askin if we could find easier solution.

Regards! :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Mechatronics.
Russ is probably the best guy to address this question, since he's an HVAC engineer. My first thought toward the insulation problem would be a fibreglass wrap with aluminum foil as the outer layer. Haven't a clue about the rest of your problem.
One thing, though. I appreciate individualism, but using non-standard colours or fonts is rather irritating. Please use black text for future posts. :smile:

Thanks, Danger!

I will be waiting for Russ for clarification then, and sorry about the text color. :)

No worries.
We do occasionally use a different colour or size sparingly for emphasis or to post a quote from another source. Personally, I use italics for emphasis.

For insulation, I would look at pipe wraps you can find at Home Depot and the like, especially the kind meant for cold water pipes to prevent dripping due to cold pipes running in warm areas, i.e. condensation wrap. If these are outside, then you could put a final covering of PVC wrap to make it weather resistant.

Well, the question doesn't ask anything about thermodynamics, just controls, but I do know a little about that...

I'd probably put a temperature controller in there with a sensor on the pipe to prevent freezing. You'll want this anyway since if you aren't dissipating enough heat with your system, it can freeze even if the pump is on. Something like this, for example: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5TB81

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the benefits of having a home water cooler?

Having a home water cooler allows for easy access to clean and purified drinking water. It also eliminates the need for constantly buying and storing plastic water bottles, reducing plastic waste and helping the environment. Additionally, having a water cooler can encourage hydration and promote a healthier lifestyle.

2. What features should I look for in a home water cooler?

Some important features to consider when choosing a home water cooler include the size and capacity of the cooler, the type of filtration system used, and any additional features such as a hot water dispenser or child lock. It's also important to consider the maintenance and replacement costs for filters and parts.

3. How often should I clean and maintain my home water cooler?

It is recommended to clean and sanitize your home water cooler at least once a month. This involves emptying and rinsing the reservoir, wiping down the exterior, and replacing any filters. Regular maintenance and filter replacements are also important to ensure the water cooler functions properly and provides clean drinking water.

4. Can I use tap water in a home water cooler?

Yes, most home water coolers are compatible with tap water. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions and make sure your tap water is safe for consumption. If your tap water has a strong taste or odor, it may be necessary to use a water filter or purchase bottled water for your cooler.

5. How do I know if my home water cooler is dispensing clean water?

You can test the cleanliness of your home water cooler by doing a simple taste and smell test. If the water has a strange or unpleasant taste or odor, it may be a sign that the filters need to be replaced or the cooler needs to be cleaned. You can also have your water tested by a professional to ensure it is free of any contaminants.