What are the most lucrative college degrees for engineers?

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the top 15 highest-earning college degrees all have one thing in common -- math skills. Math skills are at the crux of who gets paid, and the tech fields are what's driving salaries and offers. If you have those skills, you are an extremely valuable asset.
SW VandeCarr
A useful article on the Yahoo homepage today:

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/107402/most-lucrative-college-degrees.html?mod=edu-collegeprep

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
SW VandeCarr said:
A useful article on the Yahoo homepage today:

http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/107402/most-lucrative-college-degrees.html?mod=edu-collegeprep
Heh, heh - I was planning to post about that too.
The top 15 highest-earning college degrees all have one thing in common -- math skills. That's according to a recent survey from the National Association of Colleges and Employers, which tracks college graduates' job offers.

"Math is at the crux of who gets paid," said Ed Koc, director of research at NACE. "If you have those skills, you are an extremely valuable asset. We don't generate enough people like that in this country."

This year Rochester Institute of Technology hosted recruiters from defense-industry firms like Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman, as well as other big companies like Microsoft and Johnson & Johnson.

"The tech fields are what's driving salaries and offers, and the top students are faring quite well," said Emanuel Contomanolis, who runs RIT's career center.
. . . .
Study hard and do well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Heh, heh - I was planning to post about that too.
Study hard and do well!

I'm old enough to remember when engineers couldn't find jobs.

That makes me feel so much better about my math skills. =) I used to just think I was geeky.

I notice physicist isn't on that list. Luckily I'm specialized in computational so I could probably slide in as CS if I wanted to.

Wow. That makes me happy. Woo7 for CS!

Cool beans, maverick_startstrider. Are you still in school? I'm also a CS/Physics guy. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of courses / plan of study are you doing? I'm double-majoring, and it's just about the most fun thing in the world.

1. What industries currently have the highest demand for engineers?

The industries with the highest demand for engineers include technology, manufacturing, construction, and healthcare. These industries rely on engineers to design, develop, and maintain various products, systems, and structures.

2. How does the current demand for engineers compare to previous years?

The demand for engineers has been steadily increasing over the past few years. With advancements in technology and a growing need for sustainable solutions, the demand for engineers is expected to continue to rise in the coming years.

3. What skills are most in demand for engineers?

Some of the most in-demand skills for engineers include problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, and technical expertise in specific fields such as software development, electrical engineering, and mechanical engineering.

4. Are there any specific regions or countries with a higher demand for engineers?

The demand for engineers varies by region and country. In general, developed countries with strong economies and a focus on innovation tend to have a higher demand for engineers. However, emerging markets in developing countries are also seeing an increase in demand for engineers as they work towards modernization and growth.

5. What can individuals do to meet the current demand for engineers?

To meet the current demand for engineers, individuals can pursue education and training in fields that are in high demand, such as computer science, robotics, and renewable energy. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships, projects, and research can also make individuals more competitive in the job market.