How do find the displacement when it is =ing to distance

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a ball moving on a smooth floor with uniform velocity and then hitting a wall and coming back to its starting point. The goal is to find the total distance traveled by the ball and its displacement. After some attempts, the person realizes that displacement can be calculated by taking into account the negative velocity when the ball is moving back to its starting point. The velocity-time graph is also drawn to represent this movement.
1/2"
How do find the displacement when it is =ing to distance!

I am new here ,so please bear with me by helping in this simple problem:confused::cry:
Problem:A ball moes on ta smooth floor in a straight line with uniform velocity 10meters/seconds for 6seconds.At t=6seconds, the ball hits a wall and comes back along the same line to the starting point with same speed.Draw the velocity -time graph and use it to find the total distance traveled by the ball and its displacement.
My try:
I had tried to make rough graph but the problem is that it is not coming displacement as 0
Because if velocity =10m/s & time=12(total time after returning)
.: displacement=v*t=10*12=120
But as it comes back to its origional place ,I don't understand , How does it happen ?&
How do I represent it?:frown:
.Plz can anyone clear the consepts ?!:frown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hint: velocity, apart from a magnitude, also has a direction.

THANKS A LOT CompuChipip!:smile::rofl::rofl:
I think I got the answer, as there is a negetive velocity due to moving back of the ball.:
It appears like this
|V
|
| __________
|0_________ 6_________12______ (i don't know but the image is not coming correct)
| . . T
| . .
| . .
| .__________.
|V'
So,total area=(10*6)+(-10*6)=60-60=0=displacement!I am sooo happy!:rofl:
Thanks million for ur help!Keep helping!:approve::smile::smile:

Code:
|V
|
| __________                              
|0_________ 6_________12______       
|           .          .           T
|           .          .
|           .          .
|           .__________.
|V'

Yep, exactly right! :)

1. How do you calculate displacement when given distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that represents the overall change in position of an object. To calculate displacement when given distance, you also need to know the direction of the movement. This can be found by subtracting the initial position from the final position.

2. Can displacement be equal to distance?

No, displacement and distance are not the same. Distance is a scalar quantity that measures the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is a vector quantity that represents the change in position of an object from its initial to its final position.

3. How do you find displacement when given velocity and time?

To find displacement when given velocity and time, you can use the equation: displacement = velocity x time. This is because velocity is a rate of change in displacement over time, so multiplying it by time will give you the total change in position.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

As mentioned before, displacement is a vector quantity that represents the change in position of an object, while distance is a scalar quantity that measures the total length of the path traveled by an object. Another key difference is that displacement considers the direction of movement, while distance does not.

5. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This means that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the positive direction established in the coordinate system. For example, if an object moves -5 meters from its initial position, its displacement would be -5 meters.