Gravity problem< normal force

In summary, astronomers have discovered a new planet in our solar system named Planet Angeles which has one moon and is 90 times more massive. The distance between Planet Angeles and its moon is 7.90 x 108 m. To experience no net force, a space shuttle would need to be located where the gravitational forces of the planet and its moon are equal and opposite.
bobsagget
Q:Astronomers have found a new planet in our solar system and have decided to call it planet angeles. Planet angelees has only one moon. Planet Angeles mass is 90 times more massive than its moon. The center to center distance between angele's and its moon is 7.90 x 108 m. How far from the center of planet Angeles would a space shuttle have to be so it would experience no net force?

So i tried to get it started, and i knew i need to try and find the gravity of the planet and its moon, and then the distance that the normal force would have to equal gravity so there was no net force, i just don't know where to start, and need help on trying to get to the answer, Thanks! :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bobsagget! :wink:
bobsagget said:
… i knew i need to try and find the gravity of the planet and its moon, and then the distance that the normal force would have to equal gravity so there was no net force …

Normal force requires there to be a surface.

This shuttle is cruising in space, not touching anything …

just calculate where the two gravitational forces will be equal and opposite. :smile:

ooo alright, so basically u need to get the gravity of the planet and the moon equal to each other to find where the net force or gravity is equal to 0, so the shuttle doesn't move.

1. What is the relationship between gravity and normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it, perpendicular to the surface. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity acting on the object.

2. How does normal force affect an object's weight?

Normal force does not directly affect an object's weight. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while normal force is a reaction force from a supporting surface. However, normal force can indirectly affect weight by providing an upward force that counteracts the force of gravity, making an object feel lighter.

3. Can normal force be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, normal force can be greater than the force of gravity. This can happen when an object is accelerating upwards, such as in an elevator, and the normal force is providing an additional upward force to counteract the increased force of gravity due to the acceleration.

4. How does the angle of a surface affect the normal force?

The normal force is always perpendicular to the surface it is acting on. This means that the angle of a surface does not affect the magnitude of the normal force, but it can affect the direction of the force. For example, on an inclined plane, the normal force would act at an angle perpendicular to the plane's surface.

5. Is normal force a contact force or a non-contact force?

Normal force is a contact force, meaning it is only present when two objects are in physical contact with each other. It is not a non-contact force like gravity, which can act on objects without physical contact.