Brewster's Angle: Reflection and Refraction Intensity

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the intensity of s and p polarized light when unpolarized light is incident on a quartz stack. The intensity of refracted light is 50% due to the random nature of unpolarized light. To determine the intensity of s-light reflected and s and p light transmitted, one can focus on a single surface rather than a stack of quartz. The use of Malus' law may be helpful in determining the intensity, with the angle of 90 degrees being a possible starting point.
quietrain
ok, at brewster angle ,i know when unpolarized light incident on a quartz stack has only s polarized reflections and , s & p polarized refractions into the quartz.

but why is the intensity of refracted light 50% if quartz don't absorb light? is it due to the random nature of unpolarized light so on the average, its 50%?

also, how do i know what is the intensity of the s-light reflected and the s-light refracted with the p-light? am i suppose to use malus' law for the refracted part? but what will be my angle? 90? then what about the reflected part?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't work your problem with a stack of quartz; that clutters things up. Focus on a single surface.

ok if i work with only 1 piece, then how do i know the intensity of the reflected s-light? and the transmitted s and p light?

What is Brewster's Angle?

Brewster's Angle, also known as the polarizing angle, is the angle at which light rays that are incident on the surface of a material with a high refractive index will be completely polarized. This means that the reflected light will be completely perpendicular to the refracted light.

What is the significance of Brewster's Angle?

Brewster's Angle is significant because it provides a way to control the amount of reflected light from a surface. This can be useful in a variety of applications, such as reducing glare on surfaces or enhancing contrast in optical devices.

How is Brewster's Angle calculated?

Brewster's Angle can be calculated using the formula: tan θ = n2/n1, where θ is the angle of incidence, n1 is the refractive index of the incident medium, and n2 is the refractive index of the material being reflected off of. This formula is based on the principle of total internal reflection.

What is the difference between reflection and refraction at Brewster's Angle?

At Brewster's Angle, the reflected light is completely polarized and perpendicular to the refracted light. In contrast, at other angles of incidence, both reflected and refracted light will have a mix of polarizations and orientations.

What factors affect Brewster's Angle?

Brewster's Angle is affected by the refractive indices of the two materials involved, as well as the wavelength of the incident light. It is also dependent on the surface properties of the material, such as its roughness or shape.