Where Can I Download MCNPX or MCNP5C for Free?

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for downloading free MCNPX or MCNP5C software, as well as MCNPX Visual Basic. The forum members explain that these software are proprietary and not freely distributed, and suggest contacting the appropriate authorities for obtaining them. They also provide a link for downloading Visual Basic and mention the restricted distribution of MCNP. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about the possibility of these posts being made by government agents.
behzad2000
hi
please help me to download free MCNPX Or MCNP5C !
Where can i download those soft?
Or MCNPX visual basic?
please help me!
tanx

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

Well, if you could take the time to properly pose your question without the IM garbage speak, I bet we could help you.

First, what is this software for? Most, if not all, of the nuclear design codes are proprietary and are not freely distributed. Second, why don't you do a simple Google search? If nothing is found by the search, then the code is more than likely not available and is in fact proprietary.

If you want to download Visual Basic, click on the link below.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx

Thanks
Matt

behzad2000 said:
hi
please help me to download free MCNPX Or MCNP5C !
Where can i download those soft?
Or MCNPX visual basic?
please help me!
tanx
I'm sorry, but that is quite impossible! MCNP is controlled (applied) technology, and one must obtain an export license and observe strict controls - i.e. no distribution to others. One may request it from US Dept. of Energy, Los Alamos National Lab.

http://mcnp-green.lanl.gov/

http://mcnp-green.lanl.gov/about_mcnp5.html

Availability: MCNP is distributed within the United States by the Radiation Safety Information Computational Center (RSICC) --- formerly, Radiation Shielding Information Center (RSIC), Oak Ridge, Tennessee. There are versions for virtually all systems asked about (PC, Sun Solaris, etc.). Please contact RSICC directly.

MCNP has been distributed internationally by the Nuclear Energy Agency (OECD/NEA), Paris, France. The distribution is the same package as that from RSICC. Please contact Enrico Sartori.

. . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
I always laugh at these posts, they come up so frequently :rofl:

I always wonder if they are real (say, posted by Ahmadinejad trying to make a bomb), or are they posted by some bored gov agent trying to preemptively arrest someone.

I am just waiting for the day when some Hamas agent comes in asking on how to build a better car bomb.

some bored gov agent

He/she would use better IM speak. :biggrin:

1. What is MCNPX software?

MCNPX (Monte Carlo N-Particle eXtended) is a computer code used for simulating and analyzing the transport of particles through matter, specifically for nuclear and radiation applications. It is widely used in the fields of nuclear engineering, medical physics, and radiation protection.

2. How does MCNPX software work?

MCNPX uses the Monte Carlo method, a statistical technique that simulates the behavior of particles as they travel through a material. It models the interactions between particles and the material, taking into account factors such as energy, angle, and type of particle.

3. What are the key features of MCNPX software?

MCNPX has a user-friendly interface and can handle complex geometries and materials. It also has a variety of built-in nuclear data libraries and can be used for a wide range of applications, from reactor physics to radiation therapy planning.

4. How can MCNPX software be used in research?

MCNPX can be used to simulate and analyze a variety of nuclear and radiation processes, making it a valuable tool for researchers in fields such as nuclear engineering, medical physics, and radiation protection. It can be used to optimize designs, investigate radiation shielding, and assess the safety of nuclear facilities, among other applications.

5. Is MCNPX software free?

No, MCNPX is a proprietary software developed and distributed by Los Alamos National Laboratory. However, there is a free version, MCNPX-PoliMi, which is available for non-commercial use and can be downloaded from the Politecnico di Milano website.