A sample of normal RVs - the distribution of Xi-Xbar?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distribution of X1-Xbar, where Xbar is the mean of n random variables. The independence of Xbar and Sxx is also mentioned. The distribution of (1-1/n)X1 and 1/n*∑(n≥2)Xi are discussed as well, as they are independent. The distribution of the difference of these two is also mentioned. The final conclusion is that Xi-Xbar is distributed as N(0, (1+1/n)*sigma^2).
Phillips101
We have X1,...,Xn~N(mu, sigma2)

The crux of my problem is finding out the distribution of, say, X1-Xbar (where Xbar is the mean of the n RVs). This is going to end up proving the independence of Xbar and Sxx, btw.

I know Xbar~N(mu, sigma2/n), but I don't know how to find the distribution of a difference of normal RVs with different arguments?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that

[tex]
X_1 - \bar X = (1-\frac 1 n) X_1 - \frac 1 n \sum_{i\ge2}X_i
[/tex]

and all of [itex] X_1 [/itex] and [itex] X_2, \dots, X_n [/itex] are independent.

* Get the distribution of

[tex] (1 - \frac 1 n) X_1
[/tex]

as well as that of

[tex]
\frac 1 n \sum_{n\ge2} X_i
[/tex]

These are independent as well, so find the distribution of their difference.

I have Xi-Xbar ~ N(0, (1+1/n)sigma2) ?

Are you sure the variance is

[tex]
\left(1 + \frac 1 n \right) \sigma^2
[/tex]

As a scientist, it is important to understand the distribution of the difference between two random variables. In this case, we are interested in the distribution of X1-Xbar, where Xbar is the mean of n RVs. This is a common problem in statistics and can be solved using the central limit theorem.

The central limit theorem states that when the sample size is large enough, the distribution of the sample mean will approach a normal distribution, regardless of the underlying distribution of the individual RVs. In this case, we have n RVs that are normally distributed with mean mu and variance sigma2. Therefore, by the central limit theorem, Xbar will also be normally distributed with mean mu and variance sigma2/n.

Now, let's consider the distribution of X1-Xbar. This can be rewritten as (X1-Xbar)-(mu-mu). Using basic algebra, we can see that this is equivalent to (X1-mu)-(Xbar-mu). We know that X1-mu is normally distributed with mean 0 and variance sigma2, and Xbar-mu is normally distributed with mean 0 and variance sigma2/n. Therefore, by the properties of normal distributions, the difference (X1-Xbar) will also be normally distributed with mean 0 and variance sigma2+sigma2/n.

In summary, the distribution of X1-Xbar will be a normal distribution with mean 0 and variance sigma2+sigma2/n. This result also proves the independence of Xbar and Sxx, as their distributions are both normal and their means and variances are not affected by each other. I hope this helps in understanding the distribution of X1-Xbar.

1. What is a normal RV?

A normal RV (random variable) is a type of probability distribution that is characterized by a bell-shaped curve. It is also known as a Gaussian distribution or a normal distribution.

2. What does Xi-Xbar represent in a normal RV sample?

In a normal RV sample, Xi-Xbar represents the difference between each individual data point (Xi) and the sample mean (Xbar). This value is used to calculate the variability or spread of the data.

3. How is the distribution of Xi-Xbar related to the normal RV?

The distribution of Xi-Xbar is related to the normal RV because it follows a specific pattern known as the sampling distribution of the mean. This pattern is similar to the normal distribution and becomes more bell-shaped as the sample size increases.

4. Why is the distribution of Xi-Xbar important in statistical analysis?

The distribution of Xi-Xbar is important in statistical analysis because it helps us to understand the variability or uncertainty in the sample mean. It also allows us to make inferences about the population mean using the sample mean.

5. How can the distribution of Xi-Xbar be used to test hypotheses?

The distribution of Xi-Xbar can be used to test hypotheses by calculating the probability of obtaining a sample mean that is different from the hypothesized population mean. This probability is known as the p-value and it helps us to determine the statistical significance of our results.