Do these curious identities hold true?

In summary, these curious identities are mathematical equations that have been proven to hold true in various situations. They are often used in algebraic calculations and can be verified through mathematical proofs. While they may seem unusual or unexpected, they have been tested and found to be accurate. These identities are important tools in the field of mathematics and are constantly being studied and utilized by experts in the field.
Dickfore
These identities might be considered as true:

[tex]
\begin{array}{rcl}
1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + \cdots & = & \frac{1}{2} \\

1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + \cdots & = & \frac{1}{4} \\

1 - 4 + 9 - 16 + \cdots & = & 0 \\

1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + \cdots & = & -\frac{1}{2} \\

1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + \cdots & = & -\frac{1}{12} \\

1 + 4 + 9 + 16 + \cdots & = & 0
\end{array}
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
They might not.

This identity may be considered as true:

fore=head

Not with the summation operation as ordinarily defined.

Then, they are totally untrue.

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n} =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!} n! = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!} \int_{0}^{\infty}x^{n}\exp(-x)dx[/tex]

If we interchange the order of summation and integration we get a finite expression. This is known as Borel resummation. Of course, that's not a valid operation in a narrow minded sense, but then the original summation was presumably the result of an illegal formal operation to begin with. Because we are only performing formal operations, the information present in the original mathematical expression will not get lost. If that was equivalent to some number, we're likely to recover precisely that number.

So, we get:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\exp(-2x)dx = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Similarly:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+1}n = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}n}{n!} \int_{0}^{\infty}x^{n}\exp(-x)dx[/tex]

Interchanging integration and summation gives:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x\exp(-2x)dx =\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Count Iblis said:
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n} =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!} n! = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n!} \int_{0}^{\infty}x^{n}\exp(-x)dx[/tex]

If we interchange the order of summation and integration we get a finite expression. This is known as Borel resummation. Of course, that's not a valid operation in a narrow minded sense, but then the original summation was presumably the result of an illegal formal operation to begin with. Because we are only performing formal operations, the information present in the original mathematical expression will not get lost. If that was equivalent to some number, we're likely to recover precisely that number.

So, we get:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\exp(-2x)dx = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Similarly:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n+1}n = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^{n+1}n}{n!} \int_{0}^{\infty}x^{n}\exp(-x)dx[/tex]

Interchanging integration and summation gives:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}x\exp(-2x)dx =\frac{1}{4}[/tex]
:cool:

Remarkably well spotted Count Iblis!

Your entry suggests the Borel resummation could be useful in some circumstances - do you have an example?

Last edited:
These "tricks" are used in Quantum Field Theory. See Zeta function regularization.

Sorry I've no idea how [tex]\sum _{i=1}^{\infty} i = -\frac{1}{2}[/tex]. In fact your 3 last identites make absolutely no sense to me. I've checked out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeta_function_regularization and I really don't see how can these sums be true. It seems you have used the Cesaro's sum for the first series. Probably with the 3 firsts. But the 3 lasts... what the heck?

Let

[tex]
x_{k} \equiv \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{n^{k}} = 1^{k} + 2^{k} + 3^{k} + 4^{k} + \cdots
[/tex]

and

[tex]
y_{k} \equiv \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{(-1)^{n - 1} n^{k}} = 1^{k} - 2^{k} + 3^{k} - 4^{k} + \cdots
[/tex]

Then, we can formally write:

[tex]
x_{k} = y_{k} + 2 \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{(2 n)^{k}} = y_{k} + 2^{k + 1} x_{k}
[/tex]

[tex]
x_{k} = \frac{y_{k}}{1 - 2^{k+1}}
[/tex]

If we accept the first three identities as correct, then the last three follow for [itex]k = 0, 1, 2[/itex].

Knopp, in his (now classic) book on infinite series, introduces these ideas in Chapter XIII. In the introductory pages of that chapter, he writes that Euler used the following (quoting here, in my copy this is from pags 457-458).

in our exposition, the symbol for infinite sequences was created and then worked with; it was not so originally, these sequences were there, and the question was what could be done with them.

On this account, problems of convergence in the modern sense were at first remote from the minds of the mathematicians. Thus it is not to be wondered at that Euler, for instance, uses the geometric series

[tex]
1 + x + x^2 + \dots = \frac 1{1-x}
[/tex]

even for [itex] x = -1 [/itex] or [itex] x = -2 [/itex], so that he unhesitatingly wrote

[tex]
1 -1 + 1 - 1 + \dots = \frac 1 2
[/tex]

or

[tex]
1 - 2 + 2^2 - 2^3 + \dots = \frac 1 3
[/tex]

Similarly, from

[tex] \left(\frac 1 {1-x} \right)^2 = 1 + 2x + 3x^2 + \dots [/tex]

he deduced the relation

[tex]
1 -2 + 3 - 4 + \dots = \frac 1 4
[/tex]

and a great deal more. It is true that most mathematicians of those times held themselves aloof from such results in instinctive mistrust, and recognized only those that are true in the modern sense. But they had no clear insight into the reasons why one type of result should be admitted and not the other.

***********A short jump in quote - the following is still on page 458.

It is clear that the convention has no precise basis. Even though, for instance, the series [itex] 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + \dots [/itex] results in a very simple manner from the division [itex] {1}/{(1-x)} [/itex] for [itex] x = -1 [/itex] (see above), and thus should be equated to [itex] \frac 1 2 [/itex], there is no reason why the same series should not result from quite different expressions and why, in view of those other methods of obtaining it, it should not be given a different value. The above series may actually be obtained, for [itex] x = 0 [/itex], from the function [itex] f(x) [/itex] represented for every [itex] x > 0 [/itex] by the Dirichelet series

[tex]
f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty {\frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^x}} = 1 - \frac 1 {2^x} + \frac 1 {3^x} - \frac 1 {4^x} + \dots
[/tex]

or from

[tex]
\frac{1+x}{1 +x + x^2} = \frac{1-x^2}{1-x^3} = 1 - x^2 + x^3 - x^5 + x^6 - x^8 + \dots
[/tex]

by putting [itex] x = 1 [/itex]. In view of this latter method of deduction, we should have to take [itex] 1 - 1 + \dots = \frac 2 3 [/itex], and in the case of the former there is no immediate evidence what value [itex] f(0) [/itex] may have; it need not at any rate be [itex] + \frac 1 2 [/itex].

******************End of quotations

Knopp uses this discussion as a launching platform for his introduction and discussion of various issues of summation, divergent series, asymptotic series, and applications. It is an interesting, and enlightening, read.

There are also some freely downladable books/articles. E.g. http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jpboyd/boydactaapplicreview.pdf" explains the theory of hyperasymptotics.

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0510142" discusses applications in QFT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for my part thanks for the info. Interesting!

Martin Rattigan said:
This identity may be considered as true:

fore=head

I almost woke my kid up with my laughter!

This is also nice:

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{\infty}k=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex]

Dickfore said:
Let

[tex]
x_{k} \equiv \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{n^{k}} = 1^{k} + 2^{k} + 3^{k} + 4^{k} + \cdots
[/tex]

Then what is x_k (I don't think it is a finite number) and then what is meant by your last derivation? :)

most of these identities are true if you replace regular summation with some sort of other summation like cesaro summation or abel summation or borel summation.

Count Iblis said:
This is also nice:

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{\infty}k=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex]

Take the logarithm of both sides:

[tex]
\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\ln{n}} = -\frac{\ln(2 \pi)}{2}
[/tex]

The sum can be related to the derivative of the Riemann zeta function:

[tex]
\zeta(s) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{1}{n^{s}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\zeta'(s) = \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{-\ln{n} \, e^{-s \, \ln{n}}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\ln{n}} = -\zeta'(0)
[/tex]

So, your statement is equivalent to saying:

[tex]
\zeta'(0) = \frac{1}{2} \, \ln(2 \pi)
[/tex]

Dickfore, from your derivation, I now see that I forgot a minus sign. The correct expression is:

[tex]\prod_{k=1}^{\infty}k = \sqrt{2\pi}[/tex]

:smile:

Analytic continuation of the series for the zeta function yields the zeta function. Then physicists write the series anyway, even in the divergent region... mathematicians say it is misleading. Physicists say that's OK as long as you can check your answers by physical experiment!

The last equation, for example, although actually false, in some sense represents the true equation: [itex]\zeta(-2) = 0[/itex].

1. What are curious identities?

Curious identities are mathematical equations or formulas that may seem unusual or unexpected, but can be proven to be true with the use of algebraic manipulation and mathematical principles.

2. How do we determine if a curious identity holds true?

To determine if a curious identity holds true, we can use mathematical techniques such as substitution, simplification, and algebraic properties to manipulate the equation and show that both sides are equal.

3. Can curious identities be proven for all numbers?

Yes, curious identities can be proven for all numbers as long as they follow the rules of mathematics. However, some identities may only hold true for certain types of numbers, such as integers or real numbers.

4. Are curious identities useful in practical applications?

While curious identities may not have direct practical applications, they are valuable in understanding and exploring mathematical concepts and can lead to the discovery of new relationships and patterns.

5. How can I come up with my own curious identities?

To come up with your own curious identities, you can start by playing with numbers and trying different operations and patterns. It also helps to have a strong understanding of mathematical principles and properties.