The effects of Temperature on Magnetism

In summary, the magnetic field strength can be determined by using the angle of the compass and the distance between the magnet and the compass. The formulas for magnetic torque and magnetic dipole moment can be used if needed.
AKam
Hi guys, I have chosen the variation of magnetic field strength under different temperatures for my high school physics experimental investigation. We had a guassmeter at school, however it has had a few problems, and so I've dicided to use a compass. My question is, how do i use the angle of my compass that is created by my magnet, to determine the magnetic field strength of my magnet?. I will keep the distance between the magnet and compass constant in each of my measurements. Please recommend the formulas i need to use . Thanks

I have seen an article regarding magnetic field strength with distance, where formulas such as these were used:
m× (HE +HM) = 0
mHE sin θ = mHM cos θ tan θ =HM/ HE
Can such formulas, be applied to my situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
A very, very long time ago, before electronic gaussmeters were invented and I was still at school, we used to use a compass to measure magnetic fields.

Actually the compass was a rather sophisticated one with a big dial marked off in degrees and with a vernier to make it even more accurate. And we called it a 'magnetometer'.

The basic idea is to balance the rotation of the compass caused by the field you want to measure against a known, standrad field - usually we used the Earth's field for that.

I can't remember the techno/mathematical details (its just a case of balancing out opposing forces then using inverse square laws) and I tried googling magnetometer but didn't come up with anything useful on the first page.
I might be able to find more details in one of my old textbooks if you can't find out any more yourself. But I'll give you the time to research it first.

Thanks for the reply. I've been researching a bit and I've come across magnetic torque, and magnetic dipole moment. Would these be relevant?

1. What is the relationship between temperature and magnetism?

The relationship between temperature and magnetism is complex and varies depending on the type of material. In general, as temperature increases, the strength of the magnetism decreases. However, there are certain materials, such as iron, where an increase in temperature can actually increase the strength of the magnetism.

2. How does temperature affect the magnetic properties of a material?

Temperature can affect the magnetic properties of a material in several ways. One of the main effects is that as temperature increases, the motion of the atoms in a material also increases, which can disrupt the alignment of magnetic domains and weaken the overall magnetic field. Additionally, certain materials may undergo phase changes at specific temperatures, which can also affect their magnetic properties.

3. Can temperature completely eliminate magnetism?

Yes, in most cases, a high enough temperature can completely eliminate magnetism in a material. This is because at high temperatures, the thermal energy is strong enough to overcome the forces that keep the atoms aligned in a magnetic field. However, some materials, like iron, may retain some degree of magnetism even at high temperatures.

4. How does the Curie temperature relate to magnetism?

The Curie temperature is the temperature at which a material undergoes a phase transition from a ferromagnetic to a paramagnetic state. This means that above the Curie temperature, the material loses its ability to retain a magnetic field. The Curie temperature is different for each material and is dependent on factors such as atomic structure and chemical composition.

5. Can temperature affect the direction of a magnetic field?

Yes, temperature can affect the direction of a magnetic field in some cases. This is because temperature can cause the atoms in a material to vibrate and move, which can disrupt the alignment of magnetic domains and change the direction of the overall magnetic field. This effect is often seen in materials with low Curie temperatures, where the magnetic field can be easily influenced by temperature changes.