Replacing an Enclosed Back Porch Foundation

• Thread starter 333
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to replace a concrete block foundation on an enclosed back porch that is separate from the main home's foundation. The porch is 8 feet wide by 18 feet long and contains a deep freezer and closet spaces. The question is what size steel I Beam is needed to safely support the weight of the porch while the blocks are removed and solid form concrete walls are installed. A span length of 5.5 m is deemed too long for a W8 x 28 due to the lack of lateral bracing, and alternatives such as providing a vertical support at midspan are suggested.
I have an enclosed back porch with a concrete block foundation that must be replaced. It`s foundation is separate from the main home`s foundation as it ajoins at the ends where the main foundation exists and accessed with a door cut out from main foundation.

The porch is 8 feet wide by 18 feet long, single story with pitched roof,asphalt shingles containing nothing more than a deep freezer, closet spaces.

If I assume the structure`s weight as 50 lbs per square feet (?) what size steel I Beam is safely adequate to use to support the weight of the porch while I remove the blocks and install solid form concrete walls? W6X20, W8X28?

Engineering news on Phys.org
333: It sounds like a span length of 5.5 m is too long for even a W8 x 28, because it sounds like you do not have lateral bracing near the compression flange at midspan. Therefore, the compression flange could possibly slip laterally, and be unable to carry the load. I do not see an easy way for you to provide lateral support at midspan. Maybe you have ideas. Therefore, could you instead provide a vertical support at midspan? This would reduce your span length to 2.75 m. You can indeed have a laterally-unbraced span length of 5.5 m, if you wish, but it would require a larger beam size (expensive). Let us know.

Last edited:

1. How do I know if my enclosed back porch foundation needs to be replaced?

There are several signs that indicate a need for foundation replacement, including cracks in the walls or floors, uneven or sloping floors, doors and windows that stick or won't close properly, and water damage or moisture issues in the porch area.

2. What is the process for replacing an enclosed back porch foundation?

The process typically involves excavating around the perimeter of the porch, removing the old foundation, pouring a new concrete foundation, and then rebuilding the porch structure on top of the new foundation. Depending on the extent of the damage, additional steps may be necessary, such as reinforcing the foundation with steel rods or installing drainage systems.

3. How long does it take to replace an enclosed back porch foundation?

The timeline for replacing a porch foundation can vary depending on the size and complexity of the project, as well as any unforeseen issues that may arise. In general, the process can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

4. Can I still use my porch while the foundation is being replaced?

In most cases, it is not safe to use the porch while the foundation is being replaced. The area will be excavated and unstable, and the porch structure will likely be removed during the process. It is best to avoid using the porch until the project is completed.

5. How much will it cost to replace an enclosed back porch foundation?

The cost of replacing a porch foundation can vary greatly depending on factors such as the size and condition of the porch, the materials used, and the location. It is best to get quotes from several contractors to get an accurate estimate for your specific project.