About solving heat equation in half plane

In summary, the conversation is about solving a heat transport equation in frequency domain in a half plane. The equation involves partial derivatives and boundary conditions. One person suggests using Laplace transformation to convert it to an ODE, but the difficulty lies in determining the coefficients and performing inverse Laplace transformation.
diraq
Hi guys,

I have trouble when solving the following heat transport equation in half plane in frequency domain.

[tex](\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2})\theta(x,y)=i\beta\theta(x,y),-\infty<x<+\infty,y\geq 0;
\theta(|x|\rightarrow\infty,y)=\theta(x,y\rightarrow\infty)=0;
\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\theta(x,y)|_{y=0}=f(x)[/tex],

where [tex]i=\sqrt{-1}[/tex] is the unit of imaginary number, [tex]\beta[/tex] is a positive real constant, f(x) is a real function.

I tried to solve it in polar coordinate. [tex]\theta[/tex] can be expanded as the sum series of Bessel function of the second type, K. But the problem is K is divergent around the origin.

I really appreciate any help from you guys. Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
since your domain is semi-infinite in the y dimension and you have a boundary condition at y=0, I would try Laplace transform wrt y. Should give you an ODE you can deal with.

good luck.

jason

You are right. It can be converted to an ODE using Lapace transformation. But the difficulty is transported to using the boundary condition to determine the coefficients which depends on the Laplace variable s. Plus, even if the coefficients can be determined, I need to do the inverse Laplace transform to get the final result, which is almost equally changeable.

Thanks anyway.

1. What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the distribution of heat over time in a given system. It is a partial differential equation that relates the rate of change of temperature at a point to the temperature gradient and thermal conductivity of the material.

2. How is the heat equation solved in a half plane?

The heat equation in a half plane can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, Fourier transforms, and numerical methods. The choice of method depends on the boundary conditions and the complexity of the problem.

3. What are the boundary conditions in a half plane for solving the heat equation?

The boundary conditions for solving the heat equation in a half plane typically include the temperature at the boundary, the heat flux at the boundary, and the initial temperature distribution. These conditions are necessary to determine a unique solution to the equation.

4. How is the heat equation used in real-world applications?

The heat equation has many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model heat transfer in materials, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems. It is also used in financial modeling to describe the diffusion of information or stock prices.

5. What are the limitations of the heat equation in a half plane?

The heat equation assumes certain simplifying assumptions, such as constant thermal conductivity and no internal heat sources, which may not hold true in real-world situations. Additionally, the heat equation may not accurately describe the behavior of highly nonlinear systems or systems with rapid changes in temperature.