What Materials Can Withstand 2300 Celsius and 20 ATM Pressure for Steam Storage?

In summary, a group is developing a new system that requires steam to be stored at pressures of up to 20 ATM and at a temperature initially of 2300 celsius. They are seeking suggestions for the best materials to fulfill this critical role. Some recommended materials are tantalum hafnium carbide (Ta4HfC5) and tungsten alloys. However, it is suggested to use a combination of materials such as an insulating refractory on the inside of a conventional steel vessel to withstand both high temperature and pressure loads. Temperature sensors and process controls can also be incorporated to ensure safe operation.
homerismyidol
Hi a group of us are developing a new system, but are unsure of what material would be best to fulfill a critical role.

The system requires steam to be stored at pressures of upto 20 ATM, and at a temperature initally of 2300 celsius.

What materials would be best suited for this storage?

Thankyou for you suggestions

Engineering news on Phys.org
u can use tantalum hafnium carbide (Ta4HfC5), a refractory compound with a melting point of 4488 K (4215 °C, 7619 °F).it can withstand high pressure and temperature too.

Interesting about the material Hassan has suggested. Sounds like some great stuff!

I guess I have to question why a single material should be used for both resisting the high temperature AND resisting the pressure load. For any vessel with high temperature on the ID, there is a thermal gradient out to atmosphere. I would think the standard solution for these situations is to have an insulating material such as a refractory of some type on the inside of a fairly conventional steel vessel. There should be a sufficiently large thermal gradient across the insulation to ensure the material retaining the pressure has sufficient strength at whatever temperature it operates at. You might even water jacket the vessel. Temperature sensors on the steel vessel could also be provided to ensure the steel vessel doesn't exceed a certain temperature. Those sensors could easily be tied into the process controls to alarm at a given high temperature and vent pressure if an even higher temperature is exceeded.

I would suggest considering materials that have high strength and can withstand high temperatures and pressures. Some options could include stainless steel, carbon steel, nickel-based alloys, and titanium. These materials have been commonly used in high-pressure and high-temperature applications, such as in the aerospace and power generation industries. Additionally, it is important to consider the corrosion resistance of the material, as steam can be corrosive. Materials such as titanium and certain stainless steels have good corrosion resistance. It may also be beneficial to consult with materials engineers or conduct further research to determine the most suitable material for your specific needs.

1. What types of materials are typically recommended for experiments?

The materials recommended for experiments can vary depending on the specific experiment and its objectives. However, some commonly used materials include glassware, chemicals, measuring tools, and lab equipment such as Bunsen burners and microscopes.

2. Are there any materials that should be avoided in experiments?

Yes, there are certain materials that should be avoided in experiments due to safety concerns. These can include toxic chemicals, flammable materials, and materials that are known to react violently when combined.

3. How can I determine the appropriate amount of materials to use in an experiment?

The amount of materials needed for an experiment will depend on the specific instructions and procedures outlined in the experiment's protocol. It is important to carefully read and follow these instructions to ensure accurate results.

4. Can I substitute materials if I don't have the recommended ones?

In some cases, it may be possible to substitute materials if they are not readily available. However, it is important to consider the properties and functions of the recommended materials and choose substitutes that will not significantly impact the experiment's results.

5. Where can I find reliable sources for purchasing materials?

There are several options for purchasing materials for experiments, including scientific supply companies, online retailers, and university or departmental stores. It is important to ensure that the supplier is reputable and the materials are of high quality for accurate and reliable results.