Making New Paper Process and Making Recycled Paper Process

In summary, the main difference in the paper making process is in how the pulp is obtained, with different methods such as Kraft digestion, sulfite processes, and thermomechanical processes. Recycled paper requires additional steps such as maceration, de-inking, and bleaching in order to make it usable. However, once the pulp is obtained, the process for making recycled paper and new paper is the same. To make 100% recycled paper, only waste paper is used to produce the pulp. It is important to research and understand these processes in order to fully grasp the differences between making new paper and recycled paper.
soonsoon88
What is the main different within them process ?
Any good web or source can gain more knowledge about them?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've seen in the local paper mill, nothing.

This plant adds wood and recycled paper into a giant blender to produce pulp. After that it's one process.

jarednjames said:
From what I've seen in the local paper mill, nothing.

This plant adds wood and recycled paper into a giant blender to produce pulp. After that it's one process.

Erm...you mean for recycled paper making process..
Extra wood and waste paper will be added into a giant blender to produce pulp is the only different ?

soonsoon88 said:
Erm...you mean for recycled paper making process..

Do I? Don't believe that's what I said.
Extra wood and waste paper will be added into a giant blender to produce pulp is the only different ?

They only make "new" paper in the local mill.

They take wood and recycled paper*, and mix it together.

The only difference in the process will be in how they get the pulp. Once you have that it's the same to get the actual sheets.

Obviously, with recycled paper you need it white going in so you have to bleach it.

*Recycled can be from waste during production and paper that's brought in from outside sources. Strictly speaking, yes, it's waste paper - not sure why you changed the wording.

If something is made from 100% recycled paper, I don't believe it has any new wood added to it.

Actually, the process can be VERY different.

Kraft digestion and Sulfite processes are primarily chemical and heat-based. Then there are thermomechanical process that are used to make groundwood pulp for newsprint, etc. Depending on the qualities needed in the final product, mills often bleach the pulp with chlorine, chlorine dioxide, peroxide, or other oxygen processes.

To make recycled paper, you need a suitable source of paper, and you need to balance the availability of those sources against the value of your finished product, and the costs of making the used paper usable. You have to consider the costs of maceration, de-inking, removal of higher AND lower-mass contaminants (requiring two different types of centrifugal cleaners), etc, etc. And again, if you need white pulp, there has to be at least a simple bleaching stage.

Any one of these processes could be the subject of a lifetime's study and work, and can't be described in an on-line forum comprehensively, or with reasonable accuracy. Use Google, Wiki, and other on-line tools to steer you in the right direction. You'll be at it for a while, guaranteed.

turbo-1 said:
Actually, the process can be VERY different.

I was looking at the same end product (in the case of the local mill, mainly toilet roll).

They vary the content depending on supply, but the process remains the same.

However, that's why I said it's different up to the point of getting pulp. They receive the paper pre-processed.

jarednjames said:
Do I? Don't believe that's what I said.

They only make "new" paper in the local mill.

They take wood and recycled paper*, and mix it together.

The only difference in the process will be in how they get the pulp. Once you have that it's the same to get the actual sheets.

Obviously, with recycled paper you need it white going in so you have to bleach it.

*Recycled can be from waste during production and paper that's brought in from outside sources. Strictly speaking, yes, it's waste paper - not sure why you changed the wording.

If something is made from 100% recycled paper, I don't believe it has any new wood added to it.

I m believing you =)
but maybe i still doubt with it. Therefore, i keep asking.
I will change the words because i don't want make confuse waste paper and recycled paper.
Recycled paper is the outcome i want...Hehe
In short, in order to make 100% recycled paper, they will only use waste paper to produce the pulp they wan right ?
However, after get the pulp and later process will be same already with making new paper.
I got what you mean..sry for misunderstanding..

It's when they reclaim the paper you're interested in. They are the processes you need to look up.

i agree to the turbo's remarks you should search vary engines for your further assistance

What is the process of making new paper?

Making new paper involves several steps. First, wood pulp is mixed with water and chemicals to create a pulp mixture. Next, the pulp is pressed and dried to form thin sheets of paper. The paper is then coated with a layer of clay to make it smooth and coated with chemicals to make it suitable for printing. Finally, the paper is cut into sheets and packaged for distribution.

What are the benefits of using recycled paper?

Recycled paper is beneficial for several reasons. It reduces the need for cutting down trees and helps to conserve natural resources. It also reduces energy consumption and air pollution during the manufacturing process. Additionally, using recycled paper can help to divert waste from landfills and can save water and energy compared to making new paper.

How is recycled paper made?

The process of making recycled paper starts with collecting used paper from homes, offices, and other sources. The paper is then sorted and cleaned to remove any contaminants. Next, the paper is chopped into small pieces and mixed with water to create a pulp mixture. The pulp is then refined and screened to remove any remaining impurities. Finally, the pulp is pressed and dried to make new sheets of paper.

What are the challenges of making recycled paper?

Making recycled paper can be challenging due to the variety of materials that can be used in the recycling process. Different types of paper, such as glossy or coated paper, may require different recycling techniques. Additionally, the quality of recycled paper may not always be consistent, as it can be affected by the quality of the original paper and the recycling process itself.

Can recycled paper be used for all types of paper products?

Recycled paper can be used for a variety of paper products, including newspapers, magazines, office paper, and packaging materials. However, it may not be suitable for products that require high-quality paper, such as printing materials or certain types of packaging. In these cases, a combination of recycled paper and new paper may be used to achieve the desired quality.