Understanding bubble chamber tracks

In summary: I am not sure, but it may have something to do with the fact that the particle has lost a lot of energy and is therefore moving more slowly.
magu1re
Hey. :)

I am a Year 13 student and do not have to know anything about bubble chambers. However, they are mentioned in my textbook and I am interested in them.

The textbook states: "Measuring the curvature of the tracks allows the charge and mass of the particles to be deduced. The spiral tracks arise from electrons and positrons, which lose energy as they follow a curved path."

I do not understand how you can deduce the mass and charge of a particle from a bubble chamber. It is obvious that you can deduce whether it's charge is positive or negative but surely the electromagnetic force exerted upon it is dependent upon the charge of the particle (as well as it's velocity) and the acceleration of the particle is dependent upon both this force and the mass of the particle. Thus, I do not see how you can deduce these quantities by studying the curvature of the tracks (because they seem to depend on both of these quantities).

Furthermore, why it it that the electrons and positrons spiral? I understand that, when decelerated, these particles lose energy very quickly due to braking radiation and their minute mass. But why are the tracks circular? What causes them to move in such a way? etc.

Any explanations you could offer would be much appreciated. Thank-you.

Physics news on Phys.org
magu1re said:
Hey. :)

The textbook states: "Measuring the curvature of the tracks allows the charge and mass of the particles to be deduced. The spiral tracks arise from electrons and positrons, which lose energy as they follow a curved path."

I do not understand how you can deduce the mass and charge of a particle from a bubble chamber. It is obvious that you can deduce whether it's charge is positive or negative but surely the electromagnetic force exerted upon it is dependent upon the charge of the particle (as well as it's velocity) and the acceleration of the particle is dependent upon both this force and the mass of the particle. Thus, I do not see how you can deduce these quantities by studying the curvature of the tracks (because they seem to depend on both of these quantities). ...

But why are the tracks circular? What causes them to move in such a way?

Hi Macquire:
You appear to have forgetten about the applied magnetic field and the formula :
The (initial) momentum can be detemined by measuring the initial curvature in a magnetic field:
The Lorentz force on a charge in a B field is given by:

F = qv X B .

And the direction (of curvature) is given by the type of charge.

That force (classically) must equal the cetripetal force on the particle:
F = mv^2/ R

Setting the two forces equal gives :

qv X B = mv^2/ R

so: mv = qBr = p... (assuming perpendicular field)
You know the charge, radius and magnetic field so you can detemine momentum, p.

Further inward "spiralling" (reduced R) is caused by bremsstrahlung radiation which reduces its momentum as a result of kinetic energy loss.

Creator

Last edited:
Creator said:
Hi Macquire:
You appear to have forgetten about the applied magnetic field and the formula :
The (initial) momentum can be detemined by measuring the initial curvature in a magnetic field:
The Lorentz force on a charge in a B field is given by:

F = qv X B .

And the direction (of curvature) is given by the type of charge.

That force (classically) must equal the cetripetal force on the particle:
F = mv^2/ R

Setting the two forces equal gives :

qv X B = mv^2/ R

so: mv = qBr = p... (assuming perpendicular field)
You know the charge, radius and magnetic field so you can detemine momentum, p.

Further inward "spiralling" (reduced R) is caused by bremsstrahlung radiation which reduces its momentum as a result of kinetic energy loss.

Creator

How do I know the charge of the particle? At this point in time I could only deduce whether a particle had positive, negative or no charge due to the direction of curvature.

Furthermore, why does it spiral? Originally the electromagnetic force accelerates the particle in one direction. Why does this force then change direction (causing the electron/positron to spiral)?

What is a bubble chamber and how does it work?

A bubble chamber is a device used in particle physics experiments to detect and track the paths of charged particles. It consists of a superheated liquid, usually liquid hydrogen or deuterium, contained in a sealed chamber. When a charged particle passes through the liquid, it ionizes the molecules, causing them to form tiny bubbles along its path. These bubbles can be photographed and analyzed to determine the particle's trajectory and momentum.

What type of particles can be detected in a bubble chamber?

Almost any type of charged particle, such as electrons, protons, and heavier ions, can be detected in a bubble chamber. However, neutral particles such as photons and neutrons cannot be directly detected. In order to study these particles, they must interact with the liquid in the chamber and produce charged particles that can be tracked.

How are bubble chamber tracks analyzed?

Bubble chamber tracks are analyzed by measuring the position, curvature, and length of each track. This information is used to determine the charge, momentum, and energy of the particle that created the track. By analyzing multiple tracks from different particles, scientists can piece together the events that occurred in a particle collision and gain insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter.

What are some benefits of using a bubble chamber in particle physics experiments?

One of the key benefits of using a bubble chamber is its ability to capture high-quality images of particle tracks. This allows for precise measurements and detailed analysis of the particles' properties. Additionally, bubble chambers are relatively inexpensive and easy to operate, making them accessible to a wide range of scientists and experiments.

What are some limitations of using a bubble chamber?

One limitation of using a bubble chamber is that it can only detect charged particles, so neutral particles must be indirectly detected. Additionally, bubble chambers have a limited time window in which they can capture particle tracks, so they are not as useful for studying particles with short lifetimes. The superheated liquid in the chamber also limits the energy of the particles that can be detected, making it less useful for studying high-energy collisions.