Why university examination papers easier than problems in text books?

In summary: There is no way to objectively measure how difficult a problem is, so it would be unfair to place restrictions on what could be tested.
Quantumcom
Well I have been reading and solving problems in physics for scientists and engineers (R.A Serway).But my examination problems are way easier than problems in the textbooks.I always expect to have challenging problems in exams like in textbooks.Why they don't make some hard problems at least one per paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantumcom said:
Well I have been reading and solving problems in physics for scientists and engineers (R.A Serway).But my examination problems are way easier than problems in the textbooks.I always expect to have challenging problems in exams like in textbooks.Why they don't make some hard problems at least one per paper?

This is my experience based on math courses (I'm a math major). The teachers have told our classes that they don't expect students to solve problems that are too hard in an exam with limited time. As a result they restrict what material to test based on constraints like this.

It makes sense because assignments are usually over a one to three week period and exams last for only three hours. It doesn't really seem fair to do complex derivations or solve complex problems in the space of three hours when it might take a whole 2 hour lecture to do on the board by someone who has their doctorate.

"Simple" problems on exams often limit the mistakes you can make external to the testing focus. It's also easier to grade and see that you, the student, understand the material being tested on.

If problems on an exam are too complex, then one un-related mistake early on might mask that you understand the concept of focus.

It's what chiro said. Difficult problems are like a lottery in terms of the time it takes you to solve them. That's why the problem sets have the difficult questions so you have plenty of time to work on them. An exam is only two or three hours, if you put difficult questions in there people will run out of time and get low marks, not because they are stupid, but because they didn't have enough time. In that sense exams are a bit artificial becuase in real life you work on one problem for days, weeks, months, years even. The difficult problems in the problem sets are where you are really examined on your ability. Exams just test that you properly understand the fundamentals and you pass the course knowing the basics at least.

It sounds to me like you're making a generalization based on one introductory physics course.

Give it time. I'm sure you'll run into challenging exams at some point.

The idea of the closed book exam is totally nonsensical anyway. Exam paper problems cannot be too difficult because you only have a limited time to solve them, and limited materials too.

1. Why are university examination papers easier than problems in textbooks?

There are several possible reasons for this. One reason could be that university examinations are designed to test a student's understanding of key concepts and their ability to apply them, rather than just their ability to solve difficult problems. Another reason could be that university examinations typically cover a narrower range of material compared to a textbook, so the problems may not be as comprehensive or challenging. Additionally, university examinations may be timed, so they may not have the same level of complexity as textbook problems in order to allow students to complete them in a timely manner.

2. Are university examination papers easier because they are meant to be easier?

No, university examination papers are not intentionally made easier. In fact, they are designed to assess a student's understanding and mastery of the material covered in a particular course. The level of difficulty may vary depending on the course and the instructor, but the main purpose of a university examination is to evaluate a student's knowledge and skills.

3. Do universities make examinations easier to boost student grades?

No, universities do not make examinations easier in order to boost student grades. The purpose of a university examination is to accurately assess a student's understanding and mastery of the material covered in a course. Making the examination easier would not accurately reflect a student's knowledge and could potentially harm their learning and future academic success.

4. How can I prepare for university examinations if they are easier than textbook problems?

Even though university examinations may be easier than textbook problems, it is still important to prepare for them in order to do well. One way to prepare is to review and understand key concepts and their applications. It can also be helpful to practice with past examination papers or review materials provided by the instructor. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or attending review sessions can also aid in preparation for university examinations.

5. Will university examinations continue to be easier in higher level courses?

The level of difficulty for university examinations can vary depending on the course and the instructor. As students progress to higher level courses, the material may become more complex and challenging, resulting in more difficult examinations. It is important to continue to study and prepare for examinations, regardless of the difficulty level, in order to demonstrate a strong understanding of the material and achieve academic success.