How can you tell what force mediates an interaction?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the possibility of certain processes occurring and the construction of Feynman diagrams for those processes. The specific process discussed involved the conversion of a strange quark to an up quark through the emission of a W boson, as well as the annihilation of an anti-up quark and an up quark to create a gluon and a strange anti-strange pair. However, the answers state that this process is not allowed due to strong interaction that violates strangeness conservation. The speaker wonders how one can determine that strong interaction is necessary for this process and if there may be other possible interactions at play. They also mention the possibility of a mistake in the answers, but ultimately express relief that
malcomson
Doing some examples I came across the question:

Can the following processes occur and if not, why not? Draw Feynman diagrams for
the allowed processes.

one of which was

K(-) (u(bar) , s) + p → K(+) (u , s(bar)) + Σ(-) (d,d,s)

I thought that the strange quark could emit a W(-) and change to a up quark, that W boson could then change an up quark from the proton to a down quark.

At he same time the anti-up from the kaon could annihilate with the second up from the proton to create a gluon that then creates a strange anti-strange pair that go back into their respective particles.

The answers say

"not allowed, strong interation that violates strangeness conservation"

My question is - how can you tell it has to be via the strong interaction? Is there something I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they were just implicitly considering strong interactions.

It would be nice if that were the case, but there were weak EM and hybrid interactions in the other parts of the question.

There is the possibility that there's a mistake in the answers - they were handwritten by my lecturer, but I'd discounted that as me being arrogant.

Thanks for the reply, I'm quite heartened that you didn't point out some mistake I've made (I have an exam on it in a week and thought I didn't understand something).

1. How do you determine the force that mediates an interaction?

The force that mediates an interaction can be determined by analyzing the properties and behavior of the interacting objects. For example, the type and strength of the force can be inferred from the distance at which the objects interact and the resulting movement or acceleration of the objects.

2. What are the different types of forces that can mediate an interaction?

There are four fundamental forces in nature that can mediate interactions: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Each force has its own unique properties and can act over different distances and strengths.

3. Can multiple forces mediate a single interaction?

Yes, in some cases multiple forces can act on an interacting system. For example, an object falling towards the Earth experiences both the force of gravity and the force of air resistance.

4. How can you tell if a force is attractive or repulsive?

The behavior of the interacting objects can indicate whether the force is attractive or repulsive. If the objects are drawn towards each other, the force is attractive. If the objects are pushed away from each other, the force is repulsive.

5. Is it possible for two objects to interact without a mediating force?

No, all interactions between objects require a mediating force. Even seemingly contactless interactions, such as the force of gravity between two objects, are mediated by the exchange of particles (gravitons) between the objects.