I need some good bargaining techniques

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, the seller is willing to refund a portion of the money, but the buyer wants to keep the book.
flyingpig
I recently bought an ODE text (Fundamentals of Diff Eqtns - Nagle 8ed) a few days ago. The book came and it was the wrong edition (6ed). I contacted the seller and now he is willing to return a portion of my money

He mentioned at the end that "I think refund a portion of your money would be easiest. I don't need the textbook for anything so at least you can get some use out of it. The text cost me 18$ to post. How much is it worth to you?"

I paid $86 (including mailing fee) for the book, how much should I bargain to get the most out it for my book?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you buy it? A mention of "negative feedback" (or on the flip side, a promise of positive feedback if the situation is resolved satisfactorily) can work sometimes. Of course, this is assuming you bought it from eBay or Amazon or the like.

No I am willing to keep it, but I just want it cheaper. I kinda accidentally gave him a + feedback. Because I didn't even realize it was the 6ed (the cover looks EXACTLY the same)

Did you buy it off ebay?

No I bought it from Amazon

flyingpig said:
No I am willing to keep it, but I just want it cheaper. I kinda accidentally gave him a + feedback. Because I didn't even realize it was the 6ed (the cover looks EXACTLY the same)

I'm confused. You paid for it, but it's not what you wanted. But you want to keep it, you just want it cheaper. How is that the seller's problem?

Last edited:
Amazon has some sort of promisary (sp?) agreement with their sellers. You could get a full refund + shipping cost if you wanted.

If you don't want it, return it for a refund. If you do want it, keep it and stop trying it on.

What is the importance of having good bargaining techniques?

Having good bargaining techniques is important because it allows you to negotiate effectively and reach a mutually beneficial agreement. It can help you save money, time, and resources, and can also improve relationships and trust between parties.

What are some common mistakes people make when bargaining?

Some common mistakes people make when bargaining include not doing enough research beforehand, not having a clear understanding of their own needs and goals, and not actively listening to the other party's perspective. These mistakes can lead to unsuccessful negotiations and missed opportunities.

How can I improve my bargaining skills?

There are several ways to improve your bargaining skills, including practicing active listening, doing thorough research, setting clear goals and boundaries, and being willing to compromise. You can also seek out training or workshops on negotiation techniques to further develop your skills.

What are some effective techniques for bargaining?

Some effective techniques for bargaining include using the "anchoring" technique, where you start with a bold offer and then work your way down, and the "I'll make you an offer you can't refuse" technique, where you offer something of value in exchange for something you want. It's also important to understand and use body language, tone, and nonverbal cues to your advantage.

How can I ensure a successful bargaining outcome?

To ensure a successful bargaining outcome, it's important to have a positive attitude, be open to compromise, and maintain a respectful and professional demeanor. It's also helpful to have a backup plan in case negotiations fail, and to establish a good rapport with the other party to build trust and understanding.