Creative Paths in Engineering/Science/Math that dont give me a 9-5 cubicle job

• Engineering
  • Thread starter sc123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, a 23 year old female with a background in mathematics and physics is seeking career advice. She is a creative person and is interested in designing rather than programming. She also dislikes working in a corporate office and is looking for creative engineering, science, or math jobs that don't require being in an office. She is not concerned with making a lot of money and believes that cubicles for engineers indicate poor management. One suggestion is to look into engineering positions at utilities which offer steady work and decent pay, but may involve bureaucracy and politics. The person providing the advice has been in this field for over 25 years and finds it worthwhile.
sc123
Hello,

I am a 23 year old female, and I need some career advise. I was an undergraduate mathematics/physics major. I began going to school for Applied Physics at a top ten university, but I decided that I was very unhappy with the course work and the weather, so I finished the semester and quit. It was something that I gave a lot of though to and don't regret.

I am a very creative person (I like music alot), and I was more interested in designing something new than modeling how the world works. My question is this: I was thinking of doing electrical engineering or applied math, but I don't want to program every day. Most of the programming that I have done is like writing a recipe, and I like to cook by throwing whatever's in my cupboard. Also, I work for a corporate office right now, and I hate the dreariness of cubicle land. What do you think are the most creative jobs in engineering/science/math that wouldn't force me to work in office space?
Also, making a bunch of money isn't important, I know how to live thrifty.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am of the opinion that cubicles for engineers are an indication of diseased management. That said, I have a cube at work, but I'm rarely there.

Many utilities have many new positions for engineers opening up. The pay isn't bad, and the work is about as steady as anything in engineering gets. It is interesting, hands-on, applied work.

The down side? It can be bureaucratic and political at times. However, that is something you'll encounter in some form, no matter what you do.

I've been doing this work for over 25 years. I think it is worthwhile...

1. How can I use my engineering/science/math skills in a non-traditional setting?

There are many ways to use your skills in a non-traditional setting, such as working in research and development for a startup company, becoming a consultant, or pursuing a career in the entertainment industry. You can also use your skills to create your own business or work as a freelance consultant.

2. Are there any specific industries or fields that offer more creative opportunities for engineers/scientists/mathematicians?

Yes, there are several industries and fields that are known for offering more creative opportunities for these professionals. These include fields like renewable energy, biotechnology, and artificial intelligence, as well as industries like design and architecture, gaming, and music production.

3. Can I combine my engineering/science/math background with my passion for the arts?

Absolutely! Many engineers, scientists, and mathematicians have found ways to incorporate their love for the arts into their careers. For example, you can work in the field of scientific illustration, use your skills to design sets and special effects for film and television, or even use your mathematical expertise to create unique and beautiful sculptures or installations.

4. Is it possible to have a successful and fulfilling career without working a typical 9-5 job?

Yes, it is definitely possible to have a successful and fulfilling career without working a traditional 9-5 job. Many professionals in the fields of engineering, science, and math have found ways to work flexible schedules, freelance, or work remotely. It all depends on your personal preferences and the opportunities available in your chosen field.

5. How can I keep my career in engineering/science/math from becoming repetitive and monotonous?

One way to avoid monotony in your career is to continually seek out new challenges and opportunities. This could mean taking on different projects, learning new skills, or even changing industries. It's also important to stay updated on advancements and developments in your field to keep your work fresh and exciting.