Can someone recommend books about QFT?

• Thread starter ben_jamin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Qft
In summary, the conversation suggests that the best books to read as an introduction to QCD and superstrings are QFT in a Nutshell by Anthony Zee, Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, and the three volumes of Weinberg. The participant also recommends having a solid understanding of quantum mechanics before delving into these topics. The Weinberg books are mentioned as a comprehensive resource on various aspects of the universe. It is also noted that Brian Greene's book provides a good overview of not only QCD and superstrings, but also special and general relativity.
ben_jamin
I want to read papers about the QCD and superstrings, which books are better to read firstly as an introduction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read QFT in a Nutshell of Anthony Zee...
Or check out my journal for both free online courses, texts and links to peer reviewed articles on both QFT and strings...

Check out the "info on the web entry"

regards
marlon

Thanks, I search this book in our library but lended already. It's indeed a popular book.

I recently read Elegant Universe by Brian Greene and found it to be very helpful as a beginners "crash course" into Superstring theory

Last edited by a moderator:
A prior solid knowledge on QM is compulsory.
Start with Bailin & Love,go through Peskin & Schroeder and then all three volumes of Weinberg should be enough.

Daniel.

The good thing about Brian Greene's elegant universe, is that beside for learning what you would like, QCD, QFT and string theory, his book will give you a great perception of the universe on also special and general relativity and a good understanding of how our universe works, It's a dam good book.

dextercioby said:
...and then all three volumes of Weinberg should be enough.

May I ask if you tackled the three Weinbergs on your own? Or as part of a course?

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory. It is a theoretical framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of particles and fields at a fundamental level.

2. Why is QFT important?

QFT is important because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of particles and fields at the subatomic level. It has been successfully applied to various areas of physics, including particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology.

3. What are some recommended books about QFT?

Some recommended books about QFT include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by Anthony Zee, and "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael E. Peskin and Daniel V. Schroeder.

4. What level of knowledge is required to understand QFT?

To fully understand QFT, one should have a strong background in quantum mechanics, special relativity, and classical field theory. Some familiarity with particle physics and group theory is also helpful.

5. Are there any online resources for learning QFT?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning QFT, such as lecture notes, video lectures, and online courses. Some recommended resources include the MIT OpenCourseWare on Quantum Field Theory, the Perimeter Institute's Quantum Field Theory lectures, and the QFT for the Gifted Amateur website.