Mechanical Engineering vs Civil Engineering Major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between civil engineering and mechanical engineering. It is mentioned that civil engineering is often seen as easier, but this may depend on the university or individuals in the major. Both fields require strong math and physics skills, but have different focuses. The person is seeking advice on which field would be better for them, and mentions wanting a balance of field and office work and the ability to apply engineering skills in daily life.
Ishida52134
I'm interested in either of these disciplines, but I'm stuck between the two. What exactly is the difference between these two fields of engineering and what are the pro's and con's of each? I'm relatively good at math and physics, so in which field would I be able to utilize my skills more? In addition, I heard that civil engineering was more artsy and easy, is that true? That kind of discourages me to pick civil engineering if I could as easily pick up mechanical engineering as a more prestigious degree.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas?

At my university, civil engineering is regarded as easier, but I don't know if this is due to the content, to the school, or just to the people in the major.

The choice is yours. Civil encompasses a wide range of disciplines, including environmental,structural, transportation, surveying , soils and foundations, etc. Requires strong math and physics skills, as does Mechanical Engineering, which focuses on piping design, heating ventilation Air conditioning, engines, heat transfer, structural to name a few. What's your goal?

I just want a balance of field work and office work and be able to apply engineering skills to help myself and others, not only in the industry but in everydaylife as well.

1. What is the main difference between Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering majors?

Mechanical engineering focuses on the design and development of mechanical systems, such as machines, engines, and tools. Civil engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of infrastructure such as buildings, roads, and bridges.

2. Which major offers better job opportunities?

Both majors offer a wide range of job opportunities, but the demand for mechanical engineers is typically higher due to the diversity of industries they can work in. Civil engineers, on the other hand, may have more job stability as their skills are in high demand for infrastructure projects.

3. Is one major more math-intensive than the other?

Both majors require a strong foundation in math, but mechanical engineering typically involves more advanced math concepts such as calculus and differential equations. Civil engineering may focus more on applied math and statistics.

4. Which major has a higher salary potential?

Salaries for both majors can vary depending on location, experience, and industry. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mechanical engineers is higher than that of civil engineers.

5. Can someone with a degree in one major work in the other field?

While the two majors have some overlap in coursework, it may be difficult for someone with a degree in one major to work in the other field without additional training or experience. However, some job roles may require a combination of skills from both majors, making it possible for someone with a degree in one to work in the other field.