Finding level curves in relation to gradient vectors

In summary, F is a function that is the same as f but multiplies results that would be negative by -1.
The1TL

Homework Statement

Suppose f:R^2 - {0} → R is a differentiable function whose gradient is nowhere 0 and that satisfies -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0 everywhere.

a) find the level curves of f

b) Show that there is a differentiable function F defined on the set of positive real numbers so that f(x) = F(||x||)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know that gradient vectors are orthogonal to level curves. So the fact that -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0 seems to show that the gradient vector is orthogonal to any vector of the form (x, -y). So would all vectors of this form be the level curves?

b)could I just show that F is a function that is the same as f but multiplies results that would be negative by -1?

Physics news on Phys.org
The1TL said:

Homework Statement

Suppose f:R^2 - {0} → R is a differentiable function whose gradient is nowhere 0 and that satisfies -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0 everywhere.

a) find the level curves of f

b) Show that there is a differentiable function F defined on the set of positive real numbers so that f(x) = F(||x||)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know that gradient vectors are orthogonal to level curves. So the fact that -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0 seems to show that the gradient vector is orthogonal to any vector of the form (x, -y). So would all vectors of this form be the level curves?
Yes, that's exactly what it means. And that, in turn, means that dy/dx= -y/x.

b)could I just show that F is a function that is the same as f but multiplies results that would be negative by -1?
I think the (poor) notation is confusing you. f is a function on R2 so f(x) makes no sense if x is a number. While x and y are numerical values in (a), the fact that f is defined on R2 and the use of ||x||, rather than |x|, makes me think that, here, x is the vector in R2 which woud be (x, y) in terms of (a).

oh ok, so for b) is there some way that I could show that F exists based on the -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0 equation?
Or would it simply involve turning sqrt(x^2 + y^2) into an R^2 vector?

actually, I've noticed that the function g(x) = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) has the property that -y(df/dx) + x(df/dy) = 0. Therefore I could let F be h(g(x)) where h is the identity function.

1. What is a level curve?

A level curve is a curve on a 2D or 3D graph where all points on the curve have the same value. This value can represent a function, such as elevation or temperature.

2. How do gradient vectors relate to level curves?

Gradient vectors are perpendicular to level curves. This means that the gradient vector at any point on a level curve will point in the direction of increasing values on the curve.

3. Why is it important to find level curves in relation to gradient vectors?

Finding level curves in relation to gradient vectors can help us understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change. It can also help us find the maximum and minimum values of a function.

4. How can I find level curves using gradient vectors?

To find level curves using gradient vectors, you can use the equation ∇f(x,y) = k, where ∇f(x,y) is the gradient vector and k is a constant. This equation will give you the equation of the level curve.

5. Can level curves intersect?

No, level curves cannot intersect. Since all points on a level curve have the same value, if two level curves were to intersect, it would mean that those points have two different values, which is not possible.