Designing Water Filtration System - Urgent Help Needed

In summary, designing a water filtration system requires urgent help to ensure safe and clean drinking water. This process involves identifying the specific contaminants present in the water, selecting appropriate filtration methods, and testing the effectiveness of the system. It is crucial to consider factors such as cost, maintenance, and sustainability when designing a filtration system. Seeking expert assistance can greatly aid in creating an efficient and reliable filtration system to meet the urgent need for clean water.
ttataryn123
Hi all,
I am having trouble finding a website/researching to find more about how I can improve this system: http://www.waterfortheworld.com/file...ion_Manual.pdf
SPECIFICALLY I need help to think of how to have a cover on the filter or have a cap/nozzle on the hydroxide solution-if it is left on the solution will continue to generate heat and will be dangerous to potential users. The link above covers the parts used and the process, but basically chlorine gas is isolated and used to filter the water.
Please HELP, this is URGENT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ttataryn123 said:
Hi all,
I am having trouble finding a website/researching to find more about how I can improve this system: http://www.waterfortheworld.com/file...ion_Manual.pdf
SPECIFICALLY I need help to think of how to have a cover on the filter or have a cap/nozzle on the hydroxide solution-if it is left on the solution will continue to generate heat and will be dangerous to potential users. The link above covers the parts used and the process, but basically chlorine gas is isolated and used to filter the water.
Please HELP, this is URGENT.

Welcome to the PF.

Could you please explain why this is urgent?

It is urgent because I am a student and will have a meeting soon regarding this, I was hoping i could get some tips prior to it or some help.
Thanks!

ttataryn123 said:
It is urgent because I am a student and will have a meeting soon regarding this, I was hoping i could get some tips prior to it or some help.
Thanks!

Ah, then I will move the thread to the Homework Help section of the PF. All schoolwork assignment related threads need to be posted there, and you need to do the bulk of the work on your projects.

BTW, the link in your original post (OP) does not work for me. I am able to get to the top-level website, but not to the PDF file. Can you check the link and maybe post a link to the folder above the PDF file?

Alright, that is ok. I am doing the bulk of the work I was just looking for some ideas on research. And for quick access just search fountains of hope nd go to their website and you can download the summary sheet easily under about us.
Thanks a lot

ttataryn123 said:
Alright, that is ok. I am doing the bulk of the work I was just looking for some ideas on research. And for quick access just search fountains of hope nd go to their website and you can download the summary sheet easily under about us.
Thanks a lot

Are these the correct links?

http://fountainsofhope.org/about-foh/

http://fountainsofhope.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/FOH_Summary_Sheet.pdf

Is there a more detailed drawing/picture of the system showing the parts that you want to improve?

Oh wait, my bad. I see if I zoom in there are pretty good details in the PDF...

Can you use the water itself to draw heat from the hot part of the apparatus? Maybe as part of the pumping circulation system, run the water around this part...

Here's a link to the original pdf i sent you: it should describe it better: http://waterfortheworld.com/System_Resources/Supporting_Documents/
Thanks for your help

What about my idea of using the water circulation itself to draw excess heat away from the part you were asking about?

1. What materials are needed to design a water filtration system?

To design a water filtration system, you will need a container, a filtering medium such as sand or charcoal, a drainage system, and a water source. Other materials may be needed depending on the specific design and purpose of the filtration system.

2. How does a water filtration system work?

A water filtration system works by removing impurities, contaminants, and particles from water. The water is passed through various layers of filtering materials, such as sand, gravel, and charcoal, which trap and remove different types of impurities. The filtered water then passes through a drainage system and is collected in a clean container.

3. What are the different types of water filtration systems?

There are various types of water filtration systems, including carbon filters, reverse osmosis filters, UV filters, and distillation systems. Each type uses different methods to remove impurities, and the best type for a specific purpose will depend on the quality of the water and the level of filtration needed.

4. How often should a water filtration system be cleaned or replaced?

The frequency of cleaning or replacing a water filtration system will depend on the type of system and the quality of the water being filtered. In general, it is recommended to clean or replace filters every 3-6 months to maintain optimal performance and ensure the removal of impurities.

5. Can a homemade water filtration system be as effective as a commercial one?

A homemade water filtration system can be effective in removing some impurities from water, but it may not be as efficient or reliable as a commercial system. Commercial systems are designed and tested to meet specific standards and can provide more thorough and consistent filtration. It is important to carefully research and consider the components and design of a homemade system before relying on it for safe drinking water.