L'Hospital's Rule Exam Help: Tex & Word Screenshot

• Thread starter iNCREDiBLE
  • Start date
In summary, this conversation discusses the conditions for proving the limits of a function when certain constraints are met. Specifically, the conversation focuses on the limits of two continuous and differentiable functions, f and g, at a point c in the interval [a, b]. It is assumed that g(x) is not equal to 0 for any x in [a, b] except for c, and g(x) is always positive in the same interval except for at c. The conversation then presents two cases, one where A is greater than 0 and B is equal to 0, and another where A is less than 0 and B is equal to 0. In both cases, it is proven that the limit of f(x)/
iNCREDiBLE
I have an examina soon and I need help with following proof. I don't know TEX that good so I'm attaching a screenshot from word instead.

Attachments

• screen.JPG
    screen.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose that f and g are contiunuous on [a,b], differentiable on (a,b), that [tex]c{\in}[a,b][/tex], and that [tex]g(x){\not}=0[/tex] for [tex]x{\in}[a,b][/tex], [tex]x{\not}=c[/tex].

Let [tex]A:=\lim_{x{\to}c}f[/tex] and [tex]B:=\lim_{x{\to}c}g[/tex].

In adition to the suppositions, let g(x)>0 for [tex]x{\in}[a,b][/tex], [tex]x{\not}=c[/tex].

(a)If A>0 and B=0, prove that we must have [tex]\lim_{x{\to}c}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=\infty[/tex]
(b)Also, if A<0 and B=0, prove that we must have [tex]\lim_{x{\to}c}\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}=-\infty[/tex]

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your exam on L'Hospital's Rule. I understand that you are not familiar with TEX and have attached a screenshot from Word instead. I will do my best to assist you with your proof.

Firstly, L'Hospital's Rule is a useful tool in evaluating limits involving indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity. It states that if the limit of the quotient of two functions, f(x) and g(x), both approach 0 or infinity, then the limit of the quotient of their derivatives, f'(x) and g'(x), will also approach the same value. In other words:

lim [f(x)/g(x)] = lim [f'(x)/g'(x)]

As for your proof, it would be helpful if you could provide the specific problem or question that you are working on. Without that information, I can provide a general outline of how to use L'Hospital's Rule in a proof.

1. Start by writing out the limit that you need to evaluate. It should be in the form of lim [f(x)/g(x)].

2. Check if the limit is in an indeterminate form. If it is not, then L'Hospital's Rule is not needed.

3. Take the derivatives of both f(x) and g(x) separately. This will give you lim [f'(x)/g'(x)].

4. Evaluate this new limit using the same process as before. If it is still in an indeterminate form, you can continue using L'Hospital's Rule until you reach a non-indeterminate form.

5. Once you have a non-indeterminate form, you can simply plug in the value of x and solve for the limit.

I hope this general outline helps you with your proof. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck on your exam!

1. What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate limits involving indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of a fraction can be represented as the ratio of two functions, and both functions approach 0 or ∞, then the limit can be evaluated by taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator and then re-evaluating the limit.

2. When should L'Hospital's Rule be used?

L'Hospital's Rule should be used when evaluating limits that involve indeterminate forms, as it allows for a more efficient and accurate evaluation compared to other methods. It is particularly useful in calculus and real analysis.

3. How do you apply L'Hospital's Rule?

To apply L'Hospital's Rule, first rewrite the limit as a fraction and check if it is in an indeterminate form. If it is, take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator, and then re-evaluate the limit. If the limit is still in an indeterminate form, repeat the process until the limit can be evaluated.

4. Are there any limitations to using L'Hospital's Rule?

Yes, there are some limitations to using L'Hospital's Rule. It can only be used when the limit involves indeterminate forms, and it may not work for some complex functions. Additionally, it should be used with caution as it may sometimes give incorrect results if not applied correctly.

5. Can L'Hospital's Rule be used for any type of function?

No, L'Hospital's Rule can only be applied to functions that are differentiable. This means that the function must be continuous and have a well-defined derivative at the point where the limit is being evaluated. If a function is not differentiable, then L'Hospital's Rule cannot be used.