Water filtration sysyem for relief in N.O.

• Thread starter jason_one
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, a person from Minneapolis is planning to travel to New Orleans to assist with disaster relief efforts. They want to bring a water purifier and filtration system to convert flood water into drinkable water. They are unsure of what type of filter to use and are seeking advice on how to build one or where to purchase one. However, they are currently unable to afford to buy one and plan to make it themselves using basic knowledge from a high school chemistry class. They are advised to search for instructions online.
jason_one
I am an 18 year old from Minneapolis and I plan on heading to New Olreans very shortly to help out down there. I am brining a van full of supplies and one of the items I would like to bring with is a water purifier and filtration system. I'm thinking the best set up I could have would be either a carbon or a sediment filter, or maybe a combination of both. I just want something that could convert the flood water into drinkable water for people. Can anyone tell me what to build or show me a website?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just buy one so you won't run into any problems creating bad water. I don't think disaster areas are the best places to 'experiment' with thing slike this.

I would love to buy one, but I'm kind of broke right now. All I can afford are the parts to make one. Besides, I know they are very simple and effective, because I remember making some in Chemistry class in high school that consistently removed chemicals and other materials from water.

Try to google one then. Google is your friend :D

1. How does a water filtration system work?

A water filtration system works by passing water through multiple layers of filters, each designed to remove different types of contaminants. These filters can include activated carbon, reverse osmosis membranes, and UV disinfection. The end result is clean, safe drinking water.

2. Can a water filtration system remove all types of contaminants?

While a water filtration system can remove a wide range of contaminants, it may not be able to remove all types. Some contaminants, such as viruses, may require additional treatment methods like UV disinfection or chemical disinfection to be effectively removed.

3. How long does a water filtration system last before needing to be replaced?

The lifespan of a water filtration system can vary depending on the type of system and how heavily it is used. Generally, filters will need to be replaced every 6-12 months, while other components may last several years. Regular maintenance and replacement of worn-out parts can prolong the lifespan of a water filtration system.

4. Is a water filtration system cost-effective for relief efforts in N.O.?

Water filtration systems can be a cost-effective solution for providing clean drinking water in relief efforts. While the initial investment may be higher, the long-term cost of providing bottled water or other alternatives can add up quickly. Additionally, a water filtration system can be reused for future relief efforts.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a water filtration system for relief in N.O.?

One potential drawback of using a water filtration system for relief in N.O. is the need for a reliable power source. Most filtration systems require electricity to function, which may not be readily available in disaster-stricken areas. Additionally, proper training on how to use and maintain the system may be necessary to ensure its effectiveness.