Cantor Expressions: Solving A-F (2,7,19,87,1000,1M)

In summary, Cantor Expressions are a method for solving complex mathematical problems by representing them using a series of numbers. In particular, the A-F series (2,7,19,87,1000,1M) is a specific example of Cantor Expressions that can be used to solve various types of problems, including those involving sequences and series, optimization, and calculus. By using this series, mathematicians can efficiently and accurately solve complex problems that would otherwise be difficult to solve using traditional methods. This makes Cantor Expressions a valuable tool for mathematicians and scientists seeking to solve challenging problems in their respective fields.
raross
What is the cantor expansion of:

A. 2
B. 7
C. 19
D. 87
E. 1000
F. 1,000,000

The algorithm to solve these small problems is the most difficult for me.
The algorithm that I came up with states:
Asub(n) N! + Asub(n-1) (n-1)! +...+ Asub(2)2! + Asub(1)1!, where
Asub1 is an integer with 0 <= Asubi <= i for i = 1,2,...n,

I have tried to find other information on google, and have failed. It seems there is not much help with cantor expressions. So any help would be grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you seen http://www.rose-hulman.edu/mathjournal/2004/vol5-n1/paper4/v5n1-4do.doc ?

2.2 Example
23 = 3*3!+2*2!+1*1!
24 = 23 + 1 = 3*3!+2*2!+1*1! + 1 = 4!

This has an algorithm to convert a decimal number to Cantor.

Last edited by a moderator:
So do these answers make sense or am I doing it wrong?

2 = 1*1! + 1
7 = 2*2! + 1*1! + 2
19 = 2*2! + 1*1! + 14
87 = 3*3! + 2*2! + 1*1! + 64

Thanks for your help!

Im not sure how many digits you can put at the end, but it only makes sense I guess. Anyone help?

2 = 1*1! + 1
7 = 2*2! + 1*1! + 2
19 = 3*3! + 1
87 = 4*4! - 9

Hrmm, how about these answers?
Anyone have a clue?

1. What are Cantor expressions?

Cantor expressions are mathematical expressions that use the Cantor set, a set of numbers that are constructed by recursively removing the middle third of a line segment. These expressions are used to solve complex mathematical problems or equations.

2. How are Cantor expressions used to solve A-F (2,7,19,87,1000,1M)?

Cantor expressions can be used to solve A-F (2,7,19,87,1000,1M) by breaking down the problem into smaller, solvable parts using the Cantor set. Each number in the sequence represents a specific step in the solution process.

3. What is the significance of the numbers 2,7,19,87,1000,1M in A-F (2,7,19,87,1000,1M)?

The numbers in A-F (2,7,19,87,1000,1M) represent the steps in the solution process and are derived from the Cantor set. The numbers get larger as the problem becomes more complex, and the use of powers of 10 (such as 1000 and 1M) allows for easier manipulation of the numbers.

4. Are there any limitations to using Cantor expressions to solve A-F (2,7,19,87,1000,1M)?

Yes, there are limitations to using Cantor expressions. These expressions are most effective when dealing with problems that involve infinity or recursive functions. They may not be as useful for other types of mathematical problems.

5. Can Cantor expressions be applied to other mathematical problems?

Yes, Cantor expressions can be applied to other mathematical problems as long as they involve infinity or recursive functions. These expressions are a powerful tool for solving complex mathematical problems and can be adapted for different scenarios.