Help Force of a Spring for Small displacements

In summary, the conversation discusses the force of a spring for small horizontal displacements. It explains the use of the cosine function in resolving the force exerted by each spring onto the x-axis and clarifies that this is due to the assumption of small horizontal displacements. The conversation also discusses the use of trigonometry in finding the component of the displacement along the length of the spring.
Saladsamurai
Help! Force of a Spring for "Small" displacements

Homework Statement

Okay, here is the diagram,
untitled.jpg

For "small horizontal displacements" of the mass:

For the force exerted by each spring (TOTAL, not resolved) they are using:

Fsp=kxcos(45) and then resolving it onto the x-axis they use

Fsp x=kxcos25*cos45

I do not understanding this at all.

Why is the unresolved force using cos*45 ?

I am thinking it has to do with the fact that we are assuming that we are making
only "small horizontal displacements" of the mass.

Physics news on Phys.org

Saladsamurai said:
Why is the unresolved force using cos*45 ?

I am thinking it has to do with the fact that we are assuming that we are making
only "small horizontal displacements" of the mass.

The key word is horizontal as-in 'along the x-axis'. The springs exert a force in response to displacements along their lengths. What component of the horizontal displacement points along the length of each spring?

Well, apparently x*cos(45)...

But I have drawn it out like 4 times and cannot seem to see it. Guess you cannot really help me with that part though.

Well, let's look at the spring in the first quadrant: the angle between the horizontal displacement (call the displacement [itex]\dec{d}=x\hat{i}[/itex]), and the unit vector along th length of the spring (call it [itex]\hat{n}[/itex]) is 45 deg. To get the component of d along n you take the dot product of the two vectors, and [itex]\vec{d}\cdot\hat{n}=||\vec{d}||*||\hat{n}||\cos(45)=(x)*(1)\cos(45)[/itex]

Alternatively you can just use trig:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1719/springa.th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, I was using the wrong triangle like the jerk that I am. Thank you for that G... That offers a lot of insight into my problem-solving strategies.

Thanks again for your time,
Casey

What is the definition of the help force of a spring for small displacements?

The help force of a spring for small displacements refers to the force exerted by a spring when it is stretched or compressed by a small amount from its equilibrium position.

How is the help force of a spring for small displacements calculated?

The help force of a spring for small displacements is calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

What factors affect the help force of a spring for small displacements?

The help force of a spring for small displacements is affected by the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, and the displacement from its equilibrium position.

Why is the help force of a spring for small displacements important?

The help force of a spring for small displacements is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of springs and their applications, such as in mechanical systems and devices.

How does the help force of a spring for small displacements change with increasing displacement?

The help force of a spring for small displacements follows a linear relationship with displacement, meaning that it increases proportionally as the displacement increases. However, this relationship may not hold for larger displacements, as the spring may exhibit non-linear behavior.