Construct a piecewise function f(x)

In summary, to construct a piecewise function f(x) that satisfies the given conditions, we can start by finding two candidate functions f(x) and g(x) that have the desired properties and then adjusting them to meet all the conditions. We can shift the graphs of these functions horizontally and vertically to ensure that they have a non-zero sloped tangent line at x = 5 and f(5) = 11, respectively. By finding the points where the derivatives of f(x) and g(x) are equal to 6, we can also make sure that the function is concave up on (5, infinity) and concave down on (-infinity, 5). Additionally, by adjusting the domain of these functions, we can
Jinxypo

Homework Statement

Construct a piecewise function f(x) such that the following conditions are satisfied:

Concave down on ( - infinity, 5)
Concave up on (5, infinity)
increasing over ( -infinity,infinity)
Nonzero- sloped tangent line at the point of inflection x = 5
f(5) = 11 (continuous at x = 5)
f ' (5) =6

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know what I should do to get started. My teacher assigned this as a homework problem without going over anything related to this. I could draw a graph to easily satisfy the given conditions, but I don't know how to find the equations of the curves I drew.If you could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The condition f(5) = 11 is not a problem. Geometrically, we can shift any graph we find up or down by the right amount to fulfill this. In equations, this is just adding a constant to the end of whatever piecewise function we define. (Why?)

The condition of non-zero sloped tangent line at x = 5 is redundant, because f'(5) = 6.

What is an increasing concave up function? What is an increasing concave down function? Even if you cannot find one that is increasing everywhere, can you find one that is increasing over part of its domain? You can perhaps chop it off where you need it.

In particular, if your two candidate functions off of which you will take pieces are f(x) and g(x). Find when f'(x) = 6 and g'(x) = 6. Shift the graph left or right (how do you do this?) until both have derivative 6 at x = 5. Shift the graph up or down until both are equal to 11 at x = 5.

What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a type of mathematical function that is defined by different equations or expressions for different parts of its domain. This means that the function may have different rules for calculating the output depending on the input value.

How do you construct a piecewise function?

To construct a piecewise function, you need to identify the different parts of the function and their corresponding equations or expressions. These parts are determined by the different intervals or regions of the function's domain. Then, you can write the function as a combination of these parts using the appropriate notation.

What are the advantages of using a piecewise function?

One advantage of using a piecewise function is that it allows for more flexibility in defining a function and can account for different behaviors or patterns within a single function. It can also be used to model real-life situations that may have different rules or conditions at different points.

What are the common applications of piecewise functions?

Piecewise functions are commonly used in many fields of mathematics, such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. They are also used in various scientific and engineering applications, such as modeling physical and biological systems, signal processing, and optimization problems.

How do you graph a piecewise function?

To graph a piecewise function, you can plot the different parts of the function separately on the same coordinate system. You will need to pay attention to the different intervals and their corresponding equations or expressions to accurately plot the function. It is also helpful to use different colors or styles to differentiate between the different parts of the function.