Resultant Force on Charge in the middle of square

In summary, the resultant force on a negative charge of -3q, placed at the center of a square of side b, which has charges on the 4 corners, respectively, q, 2q, -4q, 2q in clockwise order is F= (k*q1*q*(1/ r^2)) which is in the direction of q.
katia11

Homework Statement

(a) Find the resultant force on a negative charge of -3q, placed at the center of a square of side b, which has charges on the 4 corners, respectively, q, 2q, -4q, 2q in clockwise order. (Magnitude and direction)

Homework Equations

F= k*q1*q*(1/ r^2)

Ftotal= F15 + F25 + F35 + F45

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the figure, and see that r = square root 2 *b* (1/2)

(pythagorean theorem)

One question is that F25 and F45 are equal and opposite. Do they cancel each other out? If so, I wouldn't have to calculate the forces for those, yes?

I'm just a little confused. Sorry if it's super easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
katia11 said:

Homework Statement

(a) Find the resultant force on a negative charge of -3q, placed at the center of a square of side b, which has charges on the 4 corners, respectively, q, 2q, -4q, 2q in clockwise order. (Magnitude and direction)

Homework Equations

F= k*q1*q*(1/ r^2)

Ftotal= F15 + F25 + F35 + F45

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the figure, and see that r = square root 2 *b* (1/2)
I assume you mean:
[tex]r = \sqrt{2}b/2 = .707b[/tex]
One question is that F25 and F45 are equal and opposite. Do they cancel each other out? If so, I wouldn't have to calculate the forces for those, yes?
Correct. Just draw each force vector and add them together (tail to head). You will see that the net force is in the direction of q.

AM

Ok awesome!

So now I have
F15= (2ke3q2)/(b2) N

and
F35=(2ke4q2)/(b2) N

But how do I find the x and y components without numbers? Do I just put in

F15x= F15 sin(135)
F15y= F15 cos(135)

and

F35x= F35 sin(135)
F35y= F35 cos(135)

The fact that there's no value for q shouldn't be throwing me off this much, but it is.

katia11 said:
Ok awesome!

So now I have
F15= (2ke3q2)/(b2) N

and
F35=(2ke4q2)/(b2) N

But how do I find the x and y components without numbers? Do I just put in

F15x= F15 sin(135)
F15y= F15 cos(135)

and

F35x= F35 sin(135)
F35y= F35 cos(135)

The fact that there's no value for q shouldn't be throwing me off this much, but it is.
Think of the -4q charge as made up of two charges, +q and -5q. Draw the force vector resulting from each charge. The force vector from the +q charge cancels that from the opposite corner. You are then left with a single force vector from the -5q charge that is a distance .707b away. Apply Coulomb's law to determine the magnitude of the force. The direction is obvious. What is the angle between the force vector and one of the sides?

AM

45 degrees?

I think I was confused because I made the middle charge the origin and thought the angle came from that. . .

And I don't really understand why we split the -4q because if one if +q and one is -5q we would get a net result of -4q anyway. . .

I assume the direction is towards the first corner q.

Thanks so much again, sorry if something is going over my head. . .

What is the resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square?

The resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square is the vector sum of all the forces acting on the charge. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each force.

How do you calculate the resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square?

To calculate the resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual force acting on the charge. Then, use vector addition to find the resultant force by adding all the vectors together.

What factors affect the resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square?

The resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square is affected by the magnitude and direction of each individual force, as well as the distance between the charge and the other charges in the square. Additionally, the presence of any external fields or objects can also impact the resultant force.

Can the resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square ever be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square to be zero if the vector sum of all the forces acting on the charge is equal to zero. This can happen if the individual forces cancel each other out or if they are all acting in opposite directions.

How does the direction of the resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square relate to the orientation of the square?

The direction of the resultant force on a charge in the middle of a square will depend on the orientation of the square and the direction of the individual forces acting on the charge. If the forces are all acting in the same direction, the resultant force will also act in that direction. If the forces are acting in different directions, the resultant force will be the vector sum of those forces.