Please remove/disable the blinking suns from chat.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary, those tricks are merely irritating to me, but they could drive my younger brother into a seizure, though his epilepsy is fairly well-controlled by drugs.
turbo
Gold Member
PF has some immature members that insist on populating chat with banks of the blinking suns, simply to be irritating. Is it possible to get rid of those? Those tricks are merely irritating to me, but they could drive my younger brother into a seizure, though his epilepsy is fairly well-controlled by drugs..

Thank you if you can and will do so.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'll look into it. Don't hesitate to report a user who is disruptive.
Thank you. If there are members with epilepsy that is not fully controlled, they could be at risk just by visiting chat when these people are playing games. Evo is well-aware of the problem and the identities of the worst perpetrators.

turbo said:
If there are members with epilepsy that is not fully controlled, they could be at risk just by visiting chat when these people are playing games.
At first I thought you were like me; just being a cranky old man. :biggrin:

But that's because I never even considered that risk. Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for judging you.

dlgoff said:
At first I thought you were like me; just being a cranky old man. :biggrin:

But that's because I never even considered that risk. Thanks for the suggestion and sorry for judging you.
I'm not trying to be cranky. My younger (much) brother is an expert in manufacturing extruded plastic items for the auto industry, "invisible" piping for hockey rinks, and a zillion other applications, and he would be a welcome addition to PF, but chat could do him in. Grand-Mal seizures are not pretty.

turbo said:
I'm not trying to be cranky. My younger (much) brother is an expert in manufacturing extruded plastic items for the auto industry, "invisible" piping for hockey rinks, and a zillion other applications, and he would be a welcome addition to PF, but chat could do him in. Grand-Mal seizures are not pretty.
To be honest photosensitive epilepsy is rather rare.

Only 3-5% of epileptics have the rare "photosensitive" type of epilepsy, and it would require a full screen of blinking icons to cause it, and out of those, triggers are not the same for everyone, and people with this rare type of epilepsy are already on medication that prevents seizures. Also, you can instantly close a screen if something appears.

Stimulating images that take up your complete field of vision, such as being very close to a TV screen

http://www.webmd.com/epilepsy/guide/photosensitive-epilepsy-symptoms-causes-treatment

But I agree they are extremely annoying, I hate them. I always ask chat members to stop posting them. I don't know if flashchat can be modified to remove a single smiley and I can find no reports of this very common software causing anyone to have a photosensitive epileptic reaction.

What I hate are sites like TV guide.com that often have those large advertising banners or side bar ads that you cannot get rid of while you are reading the page, I have to hold something in front of the monitor that blocks just the ad so I can read what I went there for. I am somewhat photosensitive, I get stabbing pains in my eyes, I even wear sunglasses indoors if I can't control the light, I had a reputation at work because I would go into an office and turn off the lights and shut the blinds. I had to have them put shades on the flourescent lights over my cubicle.

So, I really sympathize with those that can't stand the horrible things. :tongue2:

Last edited:
Evo said:
To be honest photosensitive epilepsy is rather rare.
My younger brother went into a seizure on a school-bus riding to a class event. His doctor thought that the trigger was was the (not even regular) variation in light-levels, but due to the bus driving along a road that was bordered by trees so that the sunlight coming into the bus was attenuated by the shadows.

We (family) didn't know he had epilepsy, and his JH classmates were at a loss to understand why he might be thrashing around with no motor control. It might be rare, but it could be a good idea to reduce the risk.

BTW, I attended HS with an older kid whose episodes could be triggered by flickering fluorescent tubes in the overhead lights. Our science teacher learned to recognize the early warning signs (vacant glaze, tapping pencil) as a reason to get him out of there due to an impending event.

turbo said:
My younger brother went into a seizure on a school-bus riding to a class event. His doctor thought that the trigger was was the (not even regular) variation in light-levels, but due to the bus driving along a road that was bordered by trees so that the sunlight coming into the bus was attenuated by the shadows.

We (family) didn't know he had epilepsy, and his JH classmates were at a loss to understand why he might be thrashing around with no motor control. It might be rare, but it could be a good idea to reduce the risk.

BTW, I attended HS with an older kid whose episodes could be triggered by flickering fluorescent tubes in the overhead lights. Our science teacher learned to recognize the early warning signs (vacant glaze, tapping pencil) as a reason to get him out of there due to an impending event.
Those are both examples of their entire environment being the possible cause, and something they can't control quickly, not an icon on a computer screen. I don't find any evidence of a computer icon causing an epiletic seizure, and a split second until they can close the web page should prevent seizure anyway. I'm sure that Greg will take your suggestion into consideration.

Evo said:
<snip>...

What I hate are sites like TV guide.com that often have those large advertising banners or side bar ads that you cannot get rid of while you are reading the page, I have to hold something in front of the monitor that blocks just the ad so I can read what I went there for...

So, I really sympathize with those that can't stand the horrible things. :tongue2:

Hi Evo :smile:

Not sure what browser you use, but have you used adblock plus? I use it on Firefox at work and Chrome at home and it works wonders!

Looking through the http://www.tufat.com/docs/flashchat/config.html results in this for the global configuration:
Code:
'smiles' => array
You can change the codes for the FlashChat smilies here; for example, if you're used to certain smilie syntax with other chats, then you can change the values here. This does not allow you to add smilies, however. Adding new smilies requires editing smilies.fla using the FlashMX 2004 authoring environment.
To me, it sounds like removing the smilies would require editing the mentioned smilies.fla file.

http://www.tufat.com/docs/flashchat/layout.html makes it sound like you can hide the smilies bar, so using the global config file to change the smilie commands to something weird (e.g. a SHA-256 of some random string) might be a way to remove smilies through a little "security through obscurity"...

My suggestion would be to drop Flash chat and go for IRC. There are pretty decent web front ends for IRC, and it's pretty hard to abuse smilies in plain text. ;) (If you don't want to host a server I'd suggest Freenode or Rizon.) Edit: it occurred to me that using an outside network would be difficult for authenticating users.

Last edited:
jhae2.718 said:
Looking through the http://www.tufat.com/docs/flashchat/config.html results in this for the global configuration:
Code:
'smiles' => array
You can change the codes for the FlashChat smilies here; for example, if you're used to certain smilie syntax with other chats, then you can change the values here. This does not allow you to add smilies, however. Adding new smilies requires editing smilies.fla using the FlashMX 2004 authoring environment.
To me, it sounds like removing the smilies would require editing the mentioned smilies.fla file.

http://www.tufat.com/docs/flashchat/layout.html makes it sound like you can hide the smilies bar, so using the global config file to change the smilie commands to something weird (e.g. a SHA-256 of some random string) might be a way to remove smilies through a little "security through obscurity"...

My suggestion would be to drop Flash chat and go for IRC. There are pretty decent web front ends for IRC, and it's pretty hard to abuse smilies in plain text. ;) (If you don't want to host a server I'd suggest Freenode or Rizon.) Edit: it occurred to me that using an outside network would be difficult for authenticating users.
We don't want to remove all smilies. :frown:

Also having used both IRC and flaschat, flashchat is so much more fun. I would have to vote against IRC. I personally wouldn't be interested in an IRC chat. :grumpy: Members come in chat and say "wow, this is so cool! But if you like BORING. :tongue2:

I'll tell you what, I will make another attempt to read Hitchhiker, and you leave my chat alone. :smile:

Saladsamurai said:
Hi Evo :smile:

Not sure what browser you use, but have you used adblock plus? I use it on Firefox at work and Chrome at home and it works wonders!
Hi Salad! Aww, thanks, unfortunately I prefer to use an outdated version of IE because it's user friendly. I only adopt new technology if it provides a better experience, and the occasional annoying ad isn't enough to make me give up the features I use constantly. Call me a luddite, but my cell phone is actually a cell phone and not a miniature computer/game console. It does have internet access, but I don't spend that much time traveling that it makes sense to pay through the nose for the monthly service for a handheld computer that can also be used as a phone. But if my home computer dies, I have a temporary *backup*.

Come on jhae, give old Evo a hug. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Evo said:
Hi Salad! Aww, thanks, unfortunately I prefer to use an outdated version of IE because it's user friendly.

Well, there's your problem!

micromass said:
Well, there's your problem!

LOL. I use this one at work all the time (usually at very inappropriate times :smile: ).

I use them sometimes for fun...not banks and banks of them, but they are quite intense. I'll miss them but I definitely agree with removing or limiting the use of them if they are causing issues for others. I've had to ask the police to turn off their flashing lights when they pull me over (not that it happens often >_>) One officer refused and started to get angry with me, but turned them off when I started to vomit. I wouldn't want anyone else to experience those symptoms when chat can be so much fun for everyone--even Borek.

HeLiXe said:
I've had to ask the police to turn off their flashing lights when they pull me over (not that it happens often >_>) One officer refused and started to get angry with me, but turned them off when I started to vomit. I wouldn't want anyone else to experience those symptoms when chat can be so much fun for everyone--even Borek.

:devil:

Wait. An idea for a new product. The "PF Keyboard Splatter Screen". Might sway Greg's decision. :biggrin:

So, is it disabled? Can we try and have chat today? :biggrin:

1. Why is it necessary to remove/disable the blinking suns from chat?

The blinking suns in chat can be distracting and cause discomfort for some users. Additionally, they may trigger seizures in individuals with photosensitive epilepsy. Removing or disabling the blinking suns can create a more inclusive and user-friendly chat environment.

2. Can the blinking suns be harmful to my eyes?

While the blinking suns may not directly cause harm to your eyes, they can cause eye strain and discomfort for some individuals. As mentioned before, they may also trigger seizures in individuals with epilepsy. It is recommended to remove/disable them for a more comfortable chat experience.

3. Will removing/disabling the blinking suns affect the functionality of the chat?

No, removing or disabling the blinking suns will not affect the functionality of the chat. The suns are simply a visual effect and do not serve any functional purpose in the chat. The chat will still be fully functional without them.

4. Can I customize the appearance of the blinking suns?

As a scientist, I cannot speak for all chat platforms. However, most chat platforms do not allow for customization of the appearance of the blinking suns. If you find the suns to be distracting or uncomfortable, it is best to seek a way to remove/disable them altogether.

5. Is there any scientific evidence to support the removal/disabling of the blinking suns?

Yes, there have been studies on the effects of flashing lights and images on individuals with epilepsy and those prone to seizures. These studies have shown that flashing lights and images can trigger seizures in susceptible individuals. Therefore, it is important to remove/disable the blinking suns in order to create a safer and more inclusive chat environment.