What is the voltage produced by standing on a 15 cm quartz crystal?

• Thread starter Young Learner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary, a quartz crystal of that size would generate a voltage of around 1.5 V when stood on. The cost of the crystal would be irrelevant, as the price depends on the location where it was mined.
Young Learner
Hi,

What would be the voltage developed across a Piezo-electric crystal, say Quartz of size 15 cm-length, width and 2 cm thickness, If I stand on it. My weight is around 75 kg :)

I have no idea how to calculate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on the type of crystal. Some examples are given for Barium Titanate, one of the most common, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

I don't know how or where to find the information you ask for.

Young Learner said:
Hi,

What would be the voltage developed across a Piezo-electric crystal, say Quartz of size 15 cm-length, width and 2 cm thickness, If I stand on it.
That sized crystal is probably useful only as a doorstop. :wink:

Young Learner,

There is a way you could find the voltage generated by your weight on that quartz slab: measure it!

A biologist here in Brasil told me that certain insects, especially some ant species, were attracted by electrostatic fields. I amassed more than 100 rose quartz crystals and built a large circular arch with them using silicone adhesive to steady the individual crystals. This configuration caused the bottom-most crystal to be under the most physical stress owing to the weight above it, and thereby generated a large electrostatic field. The effect decreased all the way to the uppermost "keystone" crystal at the top center of the arch. I set the arch out in my yard and waited. Soon a large swarm of army ants passed through my yard but did not seem to loiter on or around my arch. Later, leafcutter ants carrying leaf parts back to their underground fungus gardens stopped and lingered at the base of the arch. For weeks some of the leafcutters milled about the base of my quartz crystal arch. My observations are: the arch was electrically charged, higher voltage at the base. Those ants noticed it and seemed to like it.

Perhaps you could place your quartz slab outside, place a heavy weight on it, and see if it attracts ants.

Likes 1 person
Bobbywhy said:
Young Learner,

There is a way you could find the voltage generated by your weight on that quartz slab: measure it!

A biologist here in Brasil told me that certain insects, especially some ant species, were attracted by electrostatic fields. I amassed more than 100 rose quartz crystals and built a large circular arch with them using silicone adhesive to steady the individual crystals. This configuration caused the bottom-most crystal to be under the most physical stress owing to the weight above it, and thereby generated a large electrostatic field. The effect decreased all the way to the uppermost "keystone" crystal at the top center of the arch. I set the arch out in my yard and waited. Soon a large swarm of army ants passed through my yard but did not seem to loiter on or around my arch. Later, leafcutter ants carrying leaf parts back to their underground fungus gardens stopped and lingered at the base of the arch. For weeks some of the leafcutters milled about the base of my quartz crystal arch. My observations are: the arch was electrically charged, higher voltage at the base. Those ants noticed it and seemed to like it.

Perhaps you could place your quartz slab outside, place a heavy weight on it, and see if it attracts ants.

Thanks,

1. How much voltage did your electricity develop?

2. How much did the quartz crystal cost you?

You are welcome. I never put my digital voltmeter onto the crystals under stress, so I can't answer that.

I bought the beautiful pink (rose) quartz crystals directly from the miners who dug them out of the mountainsides in North Central Brasil. What I paid those miners would not be relevant unless you lived nearby.

You can find lots of quartz crystals for sale at mineral shows. The closer to the source, the cheaper they are!

Read up here! Nearly everything anyone would want to know about quartz deposits, etc. world-wide: http://www.minsocam.org/msa/collectors_corner/arc/quartzdep.htm

Last edited:

1. What is piezo-electricity and how does it work?

Piezo-electricity is a phenomenon in which certain materials, such as crystals and ceramics, generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. This is known as the piezoelectric effect. When the material is compressed, the positive and negative charges within the material are separated, creating an electric potential. This potential can be harnessed for various applications such as sensors and actuators.

2. What are the most common materials used in piezo-electric devices?

The most commonly used materials for piezo-electric devices are quartz, tourmaline, and lead zirconate titanate (PZT). These materials have a unique crystal structure that allows them to exhibit the piezoelectric effect when subjected to mechanical stress.

3. How is piezo-electricity different from other forms of electricity?

Piezo-electricity is unique because it is a direct conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy. Unlike traditional electricity, which is generated through the movement of electrons, piezo-electricity is generated through the movement of ions within a material. This makes it a more efficient and reliable source of energy for certain applications.

4. Can piezo-electricity be used for renewable energy?

Yes, piezo-electricity can be used for renewable energy. The piezoelectric effect can be harnessed from natural sources, such as vibrations from wind or ocean waves, to generate electricity. This makes it a promising technology for sustainable energy production.

5. What are the limitations of piezo-electricity?

One limitation of piezo-electricity is that it can only produce a small amount of electricity compared to traditional methods. Additionally, the materials used for piezo-electric devices can be expensive and difficult to manufacture. There are also concerns about the environmental impact of extracting these materials. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are addressing these limitations and making piezo-electricity a more viable option for various applications.