Ambiguous gene/protein nomenclature

In summary, there is confusion among co-authors regarding the naming of genes and proteins, specifically with the CREBBP gene and its encoding of the CRB protein. The speaker argues for using the official gene symbol for both the gene and protein, while others suggest using different symbols such as CBP. There may also be instances where genes have different official names than their corresponding proteins, such as with the "crumbs" gene being referred to as crb.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm writing a paper and run into the issue that co-authors claim that certain genes have different names as a protein :confused:

Like the CREBBP gene, encodes CRB protein?

As far as I know the gene encodes for a single protein, who in the right mind would give it a different name? I'm for using the official gene symbol, also for the protein. Anyone has had a similar encounter?

Biology news on Phys.org
crb seems to be used for genes called "crumbs"

I have seen CBP as an alternative to CREBBP... maybe that's what they/you meant?

Pythagorean said:
I have seen CBP as an alternative to CREBBP... maybe that's what they/you meant?
Not an alternative, the suggestion is that the protein has a different official symbol than the gene.

What is ambiguous gene/protein nomenclature?

Ambiguous gene/protein nomenclature refers to the use of inconsistent, confusing, or misleading names and symbols for genes and proteins. This can lead to confusion and errors in scientific literature and databases.

Why is accurate gene/protein nomenclature important?

Accurate gene/protein nomenclature is important for clear communication and understanding in the scientific community. It allows for efficient sharing and interpretation of data, and reduces the risk of errors and misinterpretations.

How does ambiguous gene/protein nomenclature occur?

Ambiguous gene/protein nomenclature can occur due to historical reasons, multiple names being used for the same gene/protein, or lack of standardization within a particular field of study. It can also arise from errors or inconsistencies in databases and literature.

What are some consequences of ambiguous gene/protein nomenclature?

Ambiguous gene/protein nomenclature can lead to difficulties in data integration and analysis, duplication of efforts, and inaccuracies in scientific findings. It can also impede the progress of research and hinder the development of new treatments or therapies.

How can ambiguous gene/protein nomenclature be addressed?

Standardization of gene/protein names and symbols, as well as regular updates and revisions of nomenclature guidelines, can help address ambiguous nomenclature. Collaboration between researchers, publishers, and databases can also aid in improving consistency and accuracy in nomenclature.