When Does a Skier Lose Contact with a Snowball?

• Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skiing
In summary: Therefore, the speed at the lowest point can be calculated using the conservation of energy equation: mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} . The tension in the string can also be found using this equation, as it is the force pulling the ball towards the center of rotation, which is the same as the force acting in the direction of motion at the lowest point. In summary, the speed of the ball at the lowest point can be calculated using the conservation of energy equation, and the tension in the string can be found using the same equation.
courtrigrad
A skier starts at the top of a a very large frictionless snowball, with a very small initial speed, and skis straight down the side. At what point does she lose contact with the snowball and fly off at a tangent? That is, at the instant she loses contact with the snowball, what angle [tex] \theta [/tex] does a radial line from the center of the snowball to the skier make with the vertical?

So at the top, the velocity is 0. We are interested in the point where the skier falls off. The force acting on the skier is his weight. Its components are [tex] mg\cos\theta [/tex] and [tex] mg\sin\theta [/tex]. So [tex] \Sigma F = m\frac{v^{2}}{R} [/tex] or [tex] v = \sqrt{gR\cos\theta} [/tex]. Set the potential energy at A to the kinetic energy at our point of interest which we will call B.

[tex] U_{A} = K_{B} [/tex]
[tex] mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} [/tex]

I know I have to express the height as a function of [tex] r [/tex] and [tex] \theta [/tex]. How would I do this?

A 0.5 kg ball is tied to a string 2 meters in length, and the other end is tied to a rigid support. The ball is held straight out horizontally from the point of support, with the string pulled taut, and is then released. (a) What is the speed of the ball at the lowest point of its motion? (b) What is the tension in the string at this point?

(a) Would it just be [tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^{2} [/tex]
(b) [tex] F = mgh [/tex]
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for the first, problem, try to draw a triangle that will allow you to find the change in height (i.e. the change in the radius)

The first problem, andrewchang addressed.

In the second problem, the gravitational potential energy (mgh) is converted into kinetic energy at the lowest point of motion, which is h (or r) below the starting point.

1. What are the most common injuries associated with skiing?

The most common injuries associated with skiing include knee injuries (such as ACL tears), wrist injuries (such as fractures), and head injuries (such as concussions). Other common injuries include shoulder injuries, ankle injuries, and thumb injuries.

2. How can I prevent getting injured while skiing?

To prevent injuries while skiing, it is important to properly warm up before hitting the slopes, use proper equipment and safety gear, maintain good physical fitness, and follow the rules and regulations of the ski resort. It is also important to avoid skiing in poor weather conditions and to stay within your skill level.

3. What should I do if I get injured while skiing?

If you get injured while skiing, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. If you are unable to move, do not try to ski down the mountain. Instead, wait for ski patrol to come and assist you. If you are able to move, carefully make your way to the nearest ski patrol or first aid station.

4. How can I improve my skiing technique?

To improve your skiing technique, it is important to practice regularly and to take lessons from a certified ski instructor. It is also helpful to watch instructional videos and observe other skiers to learn proper form and technique. Additionally, maintaining good physical fitness and flexibility can improve your overall skiing abilities.

5. What should I do if I encounter problems while skiing?

If you encounter problems while skiing, such as getting lost or experiencing equipment malfunctions, the first thing to do is to stay calm. Try to find your way back to a marked trail or seek assistance from ski patrol. If you experience an equipment malfunction, stop skiing immediately and seek help from a ski technician. It is also important to always carry a trail map and have a plan in case of emergencies.