How can I power my breadboard setup with a 5Vdc transformer?

• Thread starter ravenprp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Breadboard
In summary, the conversation is about setting up a breadboard circuit with an inverter IC, LEDs, and a GND/Vcc wire. The person is looking for a way to send 4.5V through the setup and is considering using three 1.5V batteries in series. They ask for recommendations on where to find battery holders and other tools, and also inquire about the difference between series and parallel connections. The other person suggests finding a 5V wall transformer and a mating connector as an alternative solution. Finally, they suggest starting with basic DC circuit projects before attempting more complex electronic projects.
ravenprp
Hi, I have a simple breadboard setup with an inverter IC, LEDs, etc.

I have a GND/Vcc wire, now I need something that I can send +4.5v through.

mY professor mentioned I can use three 1.5 double A batteries in series, but how would I go about doing this?

What tools do I need?

This is for when I have to test the circuit when I am at home and can't go to the lab.

THx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you have a Radio Shack or other electronics store near you? They will carry some prototyping supplies, including AA battery holders.

If not, Digikey.com has them:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Filter

Last edited by a moderator:
can you get me the right link to digikey? it doesn't work :(
i'm not sure what to search

also, radioshack doesn't have the AA battery holders, in series... i need one with 3, so i can supply 4.5v

any other ideas?

also, would the battery holder be in "series" or one that is in 'parallel' or does it not matter

They must be in series. If the batteries were in parallel, you'd only get 1.5V out of them (though you'd have a higher current capability).

- Warren

Perhaps you should abandon the electronic project and work on some fundamental circuit projects. You need to understand DC circuits before you can comprehend the electronics. I think you are getting ahead of yourself if you do not know how to connect 2 batteries in series. Find a project book on simple DC circuits and work your way through that, then tackle an electronics project.

ravenprp said:
any other ideas?
How about just getting a 5Vdc wall transformer and a mating connector? You can get those lots of places.

1. What is a breadboard and how does it work?

A breadboard is a device used to prototype electronic circuits. It consists of a grid of holes that are connected to each other through metal strips, allowing for easy and temporary connections to be made between electronic components without the need for soldering. The strips are typically arranged in rows and columns to mimic the layout of a circuit schematic.

2. Why do I need a Vcc on a breadboard?

Vcc stands for "voltage common collector" and it is a term used to refer to the positive power supply for an electronic circuit. On a breadboard, the Vcc rail is typically located near the top of the board and is used to provide power to the circuit being built. Without a Vcc, the circuit would not have a power source and would not function.

3. How do I connect Vcc to my breadboard?

To connect Vcc to your breadboard, you will need a power supply such as a battery or a power adapter. The Vcc rail on the breadboard is typically connected to the positive terminal of the power supply. You can use jumper wires or a power supply module to make the connection between the power supply and the Vcc rail on the breadboard.

4. Can I use any voltage for Vcc on a breadboard?

In most cases, the Vcc rail on a breadboard is designed to handle a specific voltage range, typically between 3-5 volts. It is important to check the specifications of your breadboard to ensure that you are using the correct voltage for the Vcc rail. Using a voltage that is too high can cause damage to your circuit or even start a fire.

5. Is it okay to have multiple Vcc connections on a breadboard?

Yes, it is okay to have multiple Vcc connections on a breadboard. In fact, it is common to have multiple power supplies connected to a breadboard, especially when building more complex circuits. Just be sure to use the correct voltage for each power supply and avoid overloading the breadboard with too many connections.