Calculating the Volume of the Observable Universe: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the conversation revolves around estimating the volume of the observable universe and comparing it to the number of sand grains on a beach. The formula to solve this is not recalled, but it is suggested to think for oneself and consider the keyword "observable". Eventually, it is calculated that the volume of the observable universe is 9.73E78 m^3 and the number of sand grains on a beach is 10E13. The question then shifts to comparing the number of stars and galaxies in the observable universe to the number of sand grains on a beach. There is some discussion about the shape of the universe and how it affects calculations, but no clear answer is provided.
brandon26
This question seems simple but I cannot recall the formula to solve it. I hope someone can help me:

If the age of the universe is 1.4E10 years, estimate the volume of the observable universe?:confused:

Urgent help required.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you don't need formula. Think for yourself. That's for what physics exist. If the age of the universe was one year, ...

Maybe not. But how else am I supposed to work this out? Do I need to know the rate at which the Universe expands??

errrm. Can someone please be a little more helpful than that?? Please??

I think the keyword might be observable.

Ok. I gave it a little thought and worked it out. The volume of the obserbavle universie is 9.73E78 m^3.

But the question carries on. It goes:

A beach is 1km long, 10m across, and 1m deep. One sand grain occupies 1cubic mm. which is the larger number:

The number of stars in the observable universe or the number of grains of sand on the beach?

What about the number of galaxies compared to the number of sand grains?

I worked out the number of sand garins which is 10E13. How do I calculate the number of stars or galaxies??

Last edited:
Someone Please Offer Some Advise!

like, do we assume the universe is a sphere or do we assume its flat?

apparently its flat, but then how do u calculate the volume?

Well, even if its flat and based on acceleration, we can assume it is like a cylinder only with a torus edge, or if the dark energy accelerate proportionality into a sphere that would be a lot easier then trying to calculate the volume based on a half cylinder and half torus universe... sorry, I'm a noob here.

1. What is the volume of the observable universe?

The volume of the observable universe is estimated to be around 3.58 x 10^80 cubic meters.

2. How is the volume of the observable universe calculated?

The volume of the observable universe is calculated by multiplying the observable universe's radius (known as the Hubble length) by the volume of a sphere, which is 4/3 x pi x r^3.

3. Can the volume of the observable universe change?

Yes, the volume of the observable universe can change as it is constantly expanding. However, the change is relatively slow and not noticeable on a human timescale.

4. What is the significance of knowing the volume of the observable universe?

Knowing the volume of the observable universe allows scientists to better understand the size and scale of the universe and its evolution over time. It also helps us to comprehend our place in the universe and the vastness of space.

5. Is the volume of the observable universe infinite?

No, the volume of the observable universe is not infinite. It is limited by the speed of light and the age of the universe. However, the exact size of the universe is still unknown and it is possible that it could be much larger than the observable universe.