Analysis (convergent sequences) help

In summary, the conversation discusses two analysis questions regarding the convergence of sequences. The first question states that a_n converges to a if and only if every subsequence of {a_n} also converges to a. The second question involves using a theorem to prove that a_n converges to a if and only if it is bounded and a is its only cluster point. The speaker is unsure of how to approach the second question, but suggests starting by proving the implications separately and possibly using proof by contradiction.
Pseudo Statistic
I'm having a bit of trouble with two analysis questions, they are:
1) a_n -> a iff every subsequence of {a_n} converges to a

2) a_n->a iff {a_n} is bounded, and a is its only cluster point.

For the first, I was thinking of doing something along the lines of saying that a subsequence of a_n would be a_(f(n)); that is, f being a function that maps the natural numbers onto itself, and has the properly that whenever n>= m, f(n) >= f(m) (nondecreasing) and from there, saying that |a_n - a| < eps given some eps(ilon), for all n> N (Where N is a natural number)... and then arguing that, since f(n) spits out a natural number, then for some f(n) >= N, a_f(n) thus has the limit...

For the second (and probably the first too, but I can't see it?), I'm supposed to make use of the theorem:
i) x is a cluster point of {x_n} <---> for all eps>0, N natural number, there exists an n > N such that |x_n - x| < eps, x real number
ii) x is a cluster point of {x_n} iff there exists a converging subsequence {x_(n_k)} of {x_n} that converges to x.

I'm unsure as to how to approach the second one.. but my idea is..
First, work my way from a_n->a to a_n is bounded, and a is a cluster point, and work backward from there.
However, I'm unsure as to how cluster points and limits are related...
I'd really appreciate it if someone can point out where I could begin, and possibly clarify some things I'm confused about... if possible. :D
Thanks for any replies!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you know everything you need to prove your questions but you are just sort of muddling everything together. To prove a iff b, you need to prove two things, a implies b and b implies a. So clearly state each separate implication and get started. For example 2) becomes:

a) a_n->a implies a_n bounded.
b) a_n->a implies a is the only cluster point.
c) a_n bounded and a is the only cluster point of a_n implies a_n->a.

Treat each one separately and remember proof by contradiction can be useful.

1. What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a particular value as the number of terms increases. In other words, as the sequence continues, the terms get closer and closer to a specific limit.

2. How do you determine if a sequence is convergent?

A sequence is convergent if the limit of its terms exists. This means that as the number of terms approaches infinity, the terms in the sequence get arbitrarily close to a specific value. To determine if a sequence is convergent, you can use various tests such as the squeeze theorem, the ratio test, or the root test.

3. What is the difference between a convergent sequence and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases, while a divergent sequence does not approach a specific value and can either increase or decrease without bound. In other words, the terms in a divergent sequence do not have a limit.

4. How is the convergence of a sequence related to the convergence of a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers, while a series is the sum of those numbers. If a sequence is convergent, then the series formed by adding its terms will also be convergent. However, the converse is not necessarily true – a convergent series does not guarantee that the sequence is convergent.

5. What are some real-world applications of convergent sequences?

Convergent sequences are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as in calculating the value of pi, predicting population growth, and analyzing the behavior of electric circuits. They are also used in finance and economics to model stock prices and interest rates. In general, convergent sequences are used whenever a phenomenon can be described by a sequence of values that approach a specific limit.