Where are the lengthons or the spacions?

• News
  • Thread starter Phred101.2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tachyon
In summary, the theory that is supposed to predict fundamental particles of time is called quantum theory. There is confusion about what the tachyon is, as it is not a particle of time, but a particle that travels faster than light. Centimeter-sized lengthons are what people are looking for, but they are not particles of distance.
Phred101.2
What I want to know about the theory that is supposed to predict fundamental particles of time is:
where's the one that predicts fundamental particles of distance? Why aren't people looking for the complementary distance particles? Surely without distance time would not work, so where are the lengthons or the spacions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would we need particles for distance? Does that make sense? What do you think distance is?
Whats this "fundamental particles of time" ?

Phred101.2 said:
What I want to know about the theory that is supposed to predict fundamental particles of time is:
where's the one that predicts fundamental particles of distance? Why aren't people looking for the complementary distance particles? Surely without distance time would not work, so where are the lengthons or the spacions?

If you can show me how a particle make an interaction with time, then I'll come up with the fundamental particle.

BTW, before you get into an awful mess, I'd suggest you read the PF Guidelines before proceeding any further.

Zz.

Based on the question, I think there is some confusion about tachyons [as there well should be :biggrin:]. IIRC, they are defined to be any time-reversed or superluminal particle, not particles of time.

Phred101.2 said:
predict fundamental particles of time is:
The idea of particles of things is called quanta, that's where "quantum theory" comes from. Particles of light are quanta, and are called photons. The idea of quanta was created to be able to study phenomena such as light in a different way.

I believe those lengthons you are looking for are called "centimeters."

Ivan Seeking said:
Based on the question, I think there is some confusion about tachyons [as there well should be :biggrin:]. IIRC, they are defined to be any time-reversed or superluminal particle, not particles of time.

I've always heard this:

tachyon: a hypothetical particle held to travel only faster than light

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/tachyon

Phred101.2 said:

so, the answer to figuring out gravitons and photons is to introduce hypothetical particles? This is starting to sound like how string theory is based.

Mk said:
I believe those lengthons you are looking for are called "centimeters."
:rofl: :rofl: Priceless!

I believe Ivan's guess about the OP's misconception (that the tachyon is a "quantum of time") is right.

those lengthons you are looking for are called "centimeters."
I know they're called centimeters, but what's one made of" Can you fedex one to me so I can have a good look at it (I've got a pretty good microscope)?

1. Where can I find the lengthons and spacions?

The lengthons and spacions cannot be found in a specific location. They are theoretical particles that have not yet been discovered or proven to exist.

2. How big are lengthons and spacions?

The size of lengthons and spacions is unknown as they are theoretical particles. They are believed to be much smaller than atoms and can only be measured through their effects on other particles.

3. Can lengthons and spacions be used for anything?

As they have not yet been discovered, it is not possible to determine any practical use for lengthons and spacions. However, they could potentially have significant implications for our understanding of the universe.

4. Do lengthons and spacions have any physical properties?

Since lengthons and spacions are hypothetical particles, their physical properties are still a subject of debate and research. Some theories suggest that they may have mass and charge, while others propose they could be massless and have no charge.

5. How do lengthons and spacions relate to other particles?

Lengthons and spacions are believed to be the fundamental building blocks of space and time. They are thought to interact with other particles and may play a crucial role in the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.