Gyroscope precession derivation

In summary, the body is rotating about a principle axis such that w (rotation vector) is equal to we(3) where e(3) is the principle axes of the body vector (presumably the vector that is perpendicular to the face of the spinning disk). This means that the differential of this quantity to get the torque is therefore zero. If a small force is applied somewhere along this axis at r, this force is perpendicular to w. The body then acquires a small component of angular v perpendicular to its axis, and a new equation of motion, the torque;J(dot) = r x F.
bman!!
alrite I am new on this forum...just discovered it...pretty awesome

ok, I am looking over notes from a classical physics course i did, and I've just covered rigid bodies, and literally just got through the inertia tensor, principal axes and all that good stuff.

theres a step in the gyroscope precession, that is mathematically very simple, but I am just having a brain fart and it completely eludes me:

body is roating about a principle axis such that w (rotation vector) is equal to we(3) where e(3) is the principle axes of the body vector (presumably the vector that is perpendicular to the face of the spinning disk)

this means ang mom J=I(3)we(3) where I(3) is the corresponding moment of inertia.

thus the differential of this quantity to get the torque is therefore = 0 as w is constant.

i understand this...but then

small force F is applied somewhere along this axis at r, this force is perpendicular to w. the body then acquires small component of angular v perpendicular to its axis, new equation of motion, the torque ;J(dot) = r x F.

i also understand this bit, but then this next simple step completely throws me;

if the force is small, the new angular velocity component will be small compared to the angular velocity of the orignal rotation,we can then ignore angular momentum components normal to the axis and therefore write

J(dot) = I(3)w(dot) = r x F

i just do not understand this bit.

if the notation comfuses I've attached the source notes from where I am revising. the section is on pages 17-18, the notes are good, but i have to say the inertai tensor bit was somewhat lacking in explanation for my taste.

i realize forum etiquette requires i look at old posts and all that, but this quite specific question about a step in a derviation that i simply do not get.

any help appreciated.

cheers

Attachments

• RigidBodies.pdf
    399.6 KB · Views: 356
Physics news on Phys.org
id also like to add, i didnt think this was quite homework and coursework, so i posted it here, cos it was difficulty in conceptualising rather than raw calculation difficulty

uhhhh brain fart, i think i just got it...

i feel like a retard.

1. What is the definition of gyroscope precession?

Gyroscope precession is the phenomenon where the axis of rotation of a gyroscope or spinning object changes direction, even when no external torque is applied to it.

2. How is gyroscope precession derived mathematically?

The mathematical derivation of gyroscope precession involves using the equations of motion for a rigid body and applying the concept of torque-free precession. This results in the famous "gyroscope equation" which explains the relationship between the precession rate, the angular velocity, and the moment of inertia of the gyroscope.

3. What are the key assumptions made in the derivation of gyroscope precession?

The main assumptions made in the derivation of gyroscope precession include the ideal conditions of a perfectly rigid gyroscope, the absence of external torques, and the conservation of angular momentum.

4. Is gyroscope precession a real-world phenomenon?

Yes, gyroscope precession is a real-world phenomenon that has been observed and studied extensively in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is commonly used in applications such as gyroscopic stabilizers, gyrocompasses, and spacecraft attitude control systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of gyroscope precession?

Yes, gyroscope precession has numerous real-world applications, including navigation aids, gyroscopic stabilizers for ships and aircraft, and gyrocompasses used in airplanes and ships. It is also used in the design and control of satellites and spacecraft for precise orientation and stabilization.