Can I Get a Masters Degree in 2 Years?

In summary: It just doesn't seem feasible. Maybe I am missing something?I don't know about applied math, but physics --> engineering is very much do-able.
Holocene
Masters degree?

One of my friends has a B.S in physics, and a masters in mechanical engineering. He did it all in 6 years.

Now surely an appreciable amount of physics relates to mechanical engineering, but is it typically that easy to complete another "separate" major like that?

If I do 4 years of applied mathematics, could I then get a masters degree in say electrical engineering in only 2 years?

It just doesn't seem feasible. Maybe I am missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about applied math, but physics --> engineering is very much do-able. You don't learn all the specifics that an engineer would in his/her classes, but you know the math and you know the underlying physics anyway. It's just a matter of someone telling you and you will probably understand at that point.

But, of course, a physics BS going for an engineering MS isn't on the same level as an engineering BS going for an engineering MS. It WILL be harder for you, but do-able.

I can't say with applied math, though. You'd certainly have all the math down, but how much lab experience do you have? Taking measurements, understanding data and uncertainties, etc., is all very valuable for an engineer. Moreover, how much physics do you understand? If you don't know the engineering itself, you could at least understand where it comes from (physics). If you don't know either, it will also be pretty hard.

Depends what you've taken. have you taken physics courses and/or any circuit theory? EE's also know how to program. Talk to a prospective department

a bit off topic but is it easier to get into a masters program than a PhD one? I normally don't see separate procedures/application process but why judge both using the same criteria?

Yes, the PhD requires a higher GPA. But I really don't think the difference is THAT significant. If you get into the MS, there's a very good chance for you to just shift over into a PHD instead.

Cyrus said:
Yes, the PhD requires a higher GPA. But I really don't think the difference is THAT significant. If you get into the MS, there's a very good chance for you to just shift over into a PHD instead.

Not true in my maths department.

What about a Chemistry BA to MS in engineering? What if you have taken as an undergrad in addition to the chem major: Mechanics, E&M, Modern as well as calculus through DiffEQ and Linear Algebra? In my school I think that's enough for a physics minor if you include the first year of intro.

1. Can I really complete a Masters degree in just 2 years?

Yes, it is possible to complete a Masters degree in 2 years. However, it depends on the program and your own dedication and ability to complete the required coursework and research within the allotted time frame.

2. What types of Masters degrees can be completed in 2 years?

Most traditional Masters degrees, such as a Master of Science or Master of Arts, can be completed in 2 years. Some specialized programs, such as an Executive MBA or a part-time program, may take longer than 2 years to complete.

3. Is it more challenging to complete a Masters degree in 2 years compared to a longer program?

Completing a Masters degree in 2 years can be more challenging because you will have a shorter time frame to complete the required coursework and research. However, it can also be a more intensive and focused learning experience, which can be beneficial for some students.

4. Are there any benefits to completing a Masters degree in 2 years?

One potential benefit is that you can enter the workforce or pursue further education sooner. Additionally, completing a Masters degree in a shorter time frame can demonstrate strong time management and dedication to potential employers or graduate schools.

5. Can I still have a part-time job while completing a Masters degree in 2 years?

It is possible to have a part-time job while completing a Masters degree in 2 years, but it will depend on your specific program and schedule. It is important to carefully consider your workload and prioritize your studies to ensure academic success.