How to Prove Vector Property for R(t) = <f(t), g(t), h(t)>

In summary, to prove the property for R(t) = <f(t), g(t), h(t)>:1. Rewrite the property as [R(t) x R'(t)]' = R(t) x R"(t).2. Use the product rule for derivatives to expand the left side.3. Simplify the expanded expression to match the right side.4. Use the definition of the cross product and the fact that R'(t) x R'(t) = 0 to prove that the property holds.5. Double check your work and make sure all steps are clear and logical.By following these steps, you can prove the given property for R(t) = <f(t), g(t), h(t)
multivariable
I can't seem to figure out how to prove the property for R(t) = <f(t), g(t), h(t)> :

Dt[R(t) X R'(t)] = R(t) X R"(t)

Any suggestions?!

Physics news on Phys.org
is X cross product?
[R(t) X R'(t)]' = R'(t) X R'(t)+R(t) X R"(t)
for any sensible derivative
thus
[R(t) X R'(t)]' = R(t) X R"(t)
if and only if
R'(t) X R'(t)=0
clearly true for cross product

multivariable said:
I can't seem to figure out how to prove the property for R(t) = <f(t), g(t), h(t)> :

Dt[R(t) X R'(t)] = R(t) X R"(t)

Any suggestions?!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the "Dt" derivative with respect to t? i.e.(R x R')' ?

What have you tried? Have you tried actually writing out each side in terms of derivatives of f, g, and h?

Do you know that the "product rule" from Calculus I is still true for vector products? What does that give you?

wow.. I had copied the property [R(t) x R'(t)]' = blah blah blah.. incorrectly from my book... It makes perfect sense now, thank you for the help!

1. What are vector properties?

Vector properties refer to the characteristics or attributes of a vector, such as its magnitude, direction, and components.

2. Why is it important to prove vector properties?

Proving vector properties allows us to confirm the validity of mathematical equations involving vectors and to understand the underlying principles behind them.

3. How do you prove vector properties?

To prove vector properties, we use mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, geometric representations, and vector calculus to show that the equations hold true for all possible values of the vectors involved.

4. What are some common vector properties that need to be proven?

Some common vector properties that need to be proven include the commutative and associative properties of vector addition, the distributive property of scalar multiplication, and the Pythagorean theorem for vector addition.

5. Can vector properties be proven experimentally?

No, vector properties cannot be proven experimentally as they are based on mathematical principles and not empirical observations. However, experiments can be used to validate the accuracy of vector properties in real-world scenarios.