How Does This Quantum Mechanics Approximation Problem Work?

In summary, the conversation was about how the expression \frac{e^{-\hbar \omega / 2k_BT}}{1-e^{-\hbar \omega / k_BT}}approximates to k_BT/ \hbar\omegawhen T >> \hbar\omega/k_B. The method discussed involved using the known limit of \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} {{e^x -1} \over x} = 1and utilizing a substitution to simplify the expression, resulting in the conclusion that the expression goes like {{k_B T} \over {\hbar \omega }} when T >> \hbar\omega/k_B. Both methods
Narcol2000
I'm having problems understanding how

[tex]
\frac{e^{-\hbar \omega / 2k_BT}}{1-e^{-\hbar \omega / k_BT}}
[/tex]

approximates to

[tex]
k_BT/ \hbar\omega
[/tex]
when

[tex]
T >> \hbar\omega/k_B
[/tex]

Seems like it should be simple but don't quite see how to arrive at this result.

*update*

I have tried using taylor expansions of [tex]exp(-x)[/tex] and [tex]1-exp(-x)[/tex] and just using the first expansion term since if [tex]T>>\hbar\omega/k_B[/tex] then [tex]\hbar\omega/k_BT[/tex] should be small. This seems to give the right answer but i'd be interested in knowing if indeed my method is ok and if there are alternate methods.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you call
[tex]x = - {{\hbar \omega } \over {2 k_B T}}[/tex]
(and [tex]x \to 0[/tex] when [tex]T >> \hbar\omega/k_B[/tex])

then your expression is equivalent to
[tex]{{e^x } \over {1 - e^{2x} }}[/tex]

Utilizing the known limit
[tex] \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} {{e^x -1} \over x} = 1[/tex]

you can write
[tex]
\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} {{e^x } \over {1 - e^{2x} }} = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 0} {{e^x } \over {\left( {1 - e^x } \right)\left( {1 + e^x } \right)}}\left( {{{e^x - 1 } \over x}} \right) \to -{1 \over {2x}}[/tex]

So the expression near zero goes like
[tex]-{1 \over {2x}}[/tex]
that means that the original expression goes like
[tex]{{k_B T} \over {\hbar \omega }}[/tex]

Thanks, the way i did it was equivalent it seems, but yours was a lot more clearer..

thanks again.

What is the approximation problem?

The approximation problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding an approximation or estimate for a complex or difficult mathematical function or equation. It is a common problem in many fields of science and engineering, as exact solutions are often difficult or impossible to find.

Why is the approximation problem important?

The approximation problem is important because it allows scientists and engineers to find practical and usable solutions to complex problems. It also helps to simplify complex equations and make them more manageable for analysis and application.

What are some common methods used to solve the approximation problem?

Some common methods used to solve the approximation problem include Taylor series, interpolation, and numerical integration. These methods involve using a series of simpler calculations or equations to approximate the solution to a more complex problem.

What are the limitations of using approximations?

One limitation of using approximations is that they may not always provide an exact solution. This can lead to errors in calculations and may not be suitable for applications that require high levels of precision. Additionally, the accuracy of an approximation can be affected by the quality and quantity of data used.

How do scientists determine the accuracy of an approximation?

Scientists determine the accuracy of an approximation by comparing it to the exact solution, if one exists. They may also use mathematical methods to calculate the error of the approximation and determine how close it is to the real solution.