Invertible function y=f(x), x=f^(-1)(y) with two linear segments and smooth transition

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an invertible function y=f(x) that represents a straight line in two separate regions, with a smooth transition in between. Suggestions for possible solutions include using sigmoid functions or integrating peak-shaped functions, and dividing the interval into three pieces with a cubic spline for a smoother connection.
smartscience
Hi,

I'm looking to find a function y=f(x), invertible to x=f(y) and written in terms of elementary functions and operations, that can represent a straight line Ax+B where x<<T and another straight line Cx+D where x>>T, where T is the x position where the two lines would cross. In the region where x is approximately T, there should be a smooth transition between the two functions. For what it's worth, my intention is to get a functional representation of the force-displacement relationship for a cracked solid, which becomes stiffer when the crack is closed.

Some suitable functions can be found by integrating any sigmoid-like function, or equivalently integrating any peak-shaped function twice. The width of the peak or sigmoid then becomes the width of the transition from one line to the other. Similarly, a sigmoid function could be used as a weighting factor for terms Ax+B and Cx+D, e.g.

y=(Ax+B)(1/(1+exp(x))) + (Cx+D)(1/(1+exp(-x)))

Simpler functions like

y=ln(exp(Ax+B) + exp(Cx+D))

also spring to mind. However, these functions don't appear to be invertible either with my mathematical knowledge as it stands, nor with the computer algebra package Maxima.

Does anyone know any solutions to this kind of problem please? If this is a well-known problem, some terms to search for on would be appreciated. If there's no obvious solution, I'd even welcome just some suggestions for sigmoid functions that are more likely to yield an invertible function when used in this way.

Thanks in anticipation, Joe

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Very late response, but in case someone else is interested, this is what I would do. Instead of dividing the interval into two pieces, around x = T, I would divide it into three pieces: ##-\infty < A < T < B < \infty##.
The inverse, ##f^{-1}## could be defined in a piecewise fashion on the three separate intervals ##(-\infty, A), (A, B), \text{ and } (B, \infty)##. On the left interval you could define the inverse as y = ax + b, and on the right interval as y = cx + d. Notice that a and A etc. are different numbers. A cubic spline could be used to provide a smooth connection between the two outer parts of the graph.

What is an invertible function?

An invertible function is a mathematical function that has a one-to-one mapping between its input and output values. This means that for every input value, there is only one corresponding output value, and vice versa.

What is the significance of having two linear segments in an invertible function?

Having two linear segments in an invertible function allows for a smooth transition between different sections of the function. This allows for a more accurate representation of the relationship between the input and output values, especially when there is a sudden change in behavior.

What is the purpose of the inverse function in an invertible function?

The inverse function, denoted as f-1, is used to "undo" the original function. In other words, it allows us to find the input value given the output value. In the case of an invertible function, the inverse function is simply the original function with the input and output values switched.

How is the transition between the two linear segments achieved in an invertible function?

The transition between the two linear segments is achieved by using a smooth transition function, such as a polynomial or a trigonometric function, at the point where the two segments meet. This ensures that the function is continuous and differentiable at that point.

Can an invertible function with two linear segments have multiple inverse functions?

No, an invertible function can only have one inverse function. This is because the inverse function is defined as the function that "undoes" the original function, and there can only be one way to do so. However, there can be multiple ways to represent the inverse function algebraically.