Exploring Formulas: i^4, i^5, i^6 & Beyond!

• Thread starter Brunll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulas
In summary, the formulas \frac{n(n+1)}{2}, \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} ,(\frac{n(n+1)}{2})^2 are commonly used to sum terms involving nk. They can be derived using Newton's Divided Difference formula and setting the sum equal to a polynomial of order k+1. This method can also be applied to find sums for i^4, i^5, i^6, and so on. Thank you to Halls of Ivy for the explanation and offer to show how to evolve the equation for i^4.
Brunll
About these formulas:

[tex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}, \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} ,(\frac{n(n+1)}{2})^2[/tex]

How were they evolved?

And what about [tex]i^4, i^5, i^6,...[/tex]

Thankyou everybody;;

Physics news on Phys.org
Brunll said:
About these formulas:

[tex]\frac{n(n+1)}{2}, \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} ,(\frac{n(n+1)}{2})^2[/tex]

How were they evolved?

And what about [tex]i^4, i^5, i^6,...[/tex]

Thankyou everybody;;
Those are, of course, [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n i[/itex], [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n i^2[/itex], and [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n i^3[/itex], respectively. You can sum such things by using "Newton's Divided Difference" formula. It is a discrete version of Taylor's series. If f(n) is a function defined on the non-negative integers, [itex]\Delta f[/itex] is the "first difference", f(n)- f(n-1), [itex]\Delta^2 f[/itex] is the "second difference", [itex]\Delta f(n)- \Delta f(n-1)[/itex], [itex]\Delta^3 f[/itex] is the "third difference", etc. then
[tex]f(n)= f(0)+ \Delta f(0) n+ \frac{\Delta^2 f(0)}{2!} n(n-1)+ \frac{\Delta^3 f(0)}{3!} n(n-1)(n-2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]
In particular, for a sum of terms in involving nk, [itex]\Delta^{k+1} f[/itex] is always 0 so this gives a polynomial of order k+1.

A "short cut" to finding [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n i^4[/itex] is to set it equal to An5+ Bn4+ Cn3+ Dn2+ En+ F and use the first 6 values to get eqations for A, B, C, D, E and F.

Thakyou HallsofIvy for th explanation, but could you show me explicitly how to evolve he equation in [tex}i^4[/tex],for example.It would be very helpful.

1. What is the value of i^4?

The value of i^4 is -1. This is because i is equal to the square root of -1, and when we raise it to the 4th power, we get (-1)^2 = -1.

2. What is the value of i^5?

The value of i^5 is -i. This is because i^5 is equal to i^4 * i, and as we know from the previous question, i^4 is equal to -1. Therefore, i^5 = (-1) * i = -i.

3. What is the value of i^6?

The value of i^6 is 1. This is because i^6 is equal to (i^4)^2, and as we saw in the first question, i^4 is equal to -1. Therefore, (i^4)^2 = (-1)^2 = 1.

4. How do we find the value of i^7?

To find the value of i^7, we can use a simple pattern. We know that i^4 = -1 and i^5 = -i. So, we can continue the pattern and find that i^6 = 1, i^7 = i, i^8 = i^2 = -1, i^9 = i^3 = -i, and so on.

5. Can we find the value of i^0?

No, we cannot find the value of i^0 because any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, and i is not a real number. In fact, any number raised to a power of 0 will always give us a real number, but i is an imaginary number.