Drawing perperdicular to existing coordinates

In summary, you can calculate the perpendicular line to a line between two points by finding the slope of the original line, taking the negative reciprocal of that slope, and using the point you want the line to pass through to find the equation of the perpendicular line. You can also use the dot product to find the distance between the point and the line.
VCVCVC
Hi ,

I have drawn a line between two co-ordinates say (x1,y1) and (x2,y2). I have a point called (x3,y3) . From the point (x3,y3) i need to draw a perpendicular line to (x1,y1) and (x2,y2). so that i will be able to find the perpendicular distance . Is there any formula for calculating or drawing this perpendicular line. Any equations for finding this? I have depicted the question in terms of diagram which is attached along with this message.
pls help.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 402
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The slope of the line from (x1,y1) to (x2,y2) is m= (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). The slope of a line perpendicular to that is -1/m (the slopes of two perpendicular lines always have a product of -1). Finally, the line through (x3,y3) with slope -1/m is y= -1/m(x- x3)+ y3.

Hi,

Thanks for the very prompt response. Will you please brief with one small example ? I am sorry and i am not much good in mathematics. your help will be greatly appreciated.

The following is for three (or more) dimensions. If you have two points p1 and p2, the equation of a line going through p1 and p2 is generally given by:

p(t) = p1 + (p2-p1)*t

We normalize the direction vector (p2-p1) of this line and obtain the equation:

p(t) = p1 + e*t with e = (p2-p1)/||p2-p1||

Then the equation of the line perpendicular to |p1p2| going through p3 is given by:

p(t) = p3 + v3*t with v3 = (p3-p2) - (e*(p3-p2))*e

If you normalize v3 obtaining the normal vector e3 = v3/||v3||, the distance d3 of the point p3 to the line defined by p1,p2 is given by:

d3 = (p3-p2)*e3

With the dot product of two vector v1(x1,y1,z1) and v2(x2,y2,z2) given by:

v1*v2 = x1*x2 + y1*y2 + z1*z2

For two dimensions, just take the z component zero.

Last edited:
An example: Let (x1,y1)= (1, 1), (x2,y2)= (5,3) and (x3,31)= (0,3). (Made up pretty much at random.)

The slope of the line through (1,1) and (5,3) is (3-1)/(5-1)= 2/4= 1/2. (In fact, it is easy to see that the line through those two points is given by y= (1/2)(x-1)+ 1.)

The slope of any line perpendicular to that is -2 (since -2(1/2)= 1). The line with slope -2 passing through (0,3) is y= -2(x-0)+ 3 or y= -2x+ 3.

To find the "perpendicular distance" you would now find the point where the two lines y= y= (1/2)(x-1)+ 1= (1/2)x+ 1/2 and y= -2x+ 3 intersect. That gives, of course, (1/2)x+ 1/2= -2x+ 3 or (2+ 1/2)x= 3- 1/2. That is, (5/2)x= 5/2 so x= 1 and then y= 1 (I swear! I picked the numbers "at random"!) Finally, the distance from (0,3) to (1,1) (the intersection) is sqrt(12+ 22)= sqrt(5).

1. How do I draw a perpendicular line to an existing set of coordinates?

To draw a perpendicular line to an existing set of coordinates, you will need to first identify the slope of the existing line. Then, using the negative reciprocal of that slope, you can find the slope of the perpendicular line. Finally, using the point-slope formula, you can plot the new line passing through the desired point and perpendicular to the existing line.

2. Can I draw a perpendicular line without knowing the exact coordinates of the existing line?

Yes, you can still draw a perpendicular line without knowing the exact coordinates of the existing line. As long as you have the slope of the existing line, you can use the methods mentioned in the previous answer to plot the perpendicular line.

3. What if the existing line is horizontal or vertical?

If the existing line is horizontal, its slope is 0. In this case, the perpendicular line will be vertical with an undefined slope. If the existing line is vertical, its slope is undefined. In this case, the perpendicular line will be horizontal with a slope of 0.

4. Can I draw a perpendicular line to a curved line?

No, the concept of perpendicular lines only applies to straight lines. If you want to draw a line perpendicular to a curved line, you will need to find the tangent line at the desired point on the curved line, which will then be perpendicular.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tools that can help me draw a perpendicular line?

Yes, most graphing calculators or software have a feature that allows you to draw a perpendicular line to an existing line. You can also use a ruler and protractor to manually draw a perpendicular line if you know the slope and desired point.