What it feels like to have appendicitis?

• Medical
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: Are you drinking enough water? Do you have any other symptoms? I would see my doctor as soon as possible.I hate to talk about BM's but they very from good to solid and and gush,...pretty much normal. Are you drinking enough water? Do you have any other symptoms? I would see my doctor as soon as possible.In summary, a person with appendicitis may experience intense pain, nausea, and diarrhea. If you have appendicitis, go to the ER right away.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Any one know what it feels like to have appendicitis?

Biology news on Phys.org

From what I am told, it hurts.

from what I've been told it is "the worst pain I've ever felt in my life." and this came from a guy who cut his hand off in a table saw.

I had it. It really really hurt. But as I understand it doesn't have to. Some people don't have severe pain.

Local pressure makes the pain ease some but it hurts when you ease the pressure. It also hurts more if you get jarred, like jumping and landing flat footed.

If you suspect that you have it, go to the ER right now!

montoyas7940 said:
I had it. It really really hurt. But as I understand it doesn't have to. Some people don't have severe pain.

Local pressure makes the pain ease some but it hurts when you ease the pressure. It also hurts more if you get jarred, like jumping and landing flat footed.

If you suspect that you have it, go to the ER right now!

If i had it i could not get to the ER, i was wondering is all, people will imagine the worst case even if it some thing minor, as my doctor says, my surgery is full of people with finger ache.

I showed all the symptoms of appendicitis a couple years ago but it turned out to be a virus. If your unsure, go to the ER. You don't want to mess around with something that can kill you.

wolram said:
If i had it i could not get to the ER,

Why not?

montoyas7940 said:
Why not?

I do not have transport, and any way i am sure every thing is okay, sorry for causing a ruckus.

My mom had it several years ago. She looked super nauseous and was in so much pain she had a lot of trouble standing up and walking.

Doe's it make ones right side ache a bit?

Hey, this has been moved it was in GD, sorry folks

Hi All

I had it about 5 years ago. It was an instant pain, like a clamp had just been placed about an inch inside on the right side of my lower stomach. Anytime I tried to move, it was like the clamp got tighter. Pressure did help ease the pain but made it worse in the long run.

The only good part was the week off from work and sympathy dinners I was allowed to eat in bed before my daily dose of video games. That being said, I have tried to fake the ailment many times since but with limited success. In other words, my wife just doesn't buy it...

wolram said:
Doe's it make ones right side ache a bit?

For most people, the appendix is at the bottom of the ascending colon, which puts it in your right lower abdomen. For about 1/10,000 people, the internal organs are reversed, so their appendix is in the left lower quadrant of their abdomen.

Here is a good intro to appendicitis:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-appendicitis

Are you okay now wollie? It's been a few days -- hopefully the pain went away.

berkeman said:
For most people, the appendix is at the bottom of the ascending colon, which puts it in your right lower abdomen. For about 1/10,000 people, the internal organs are reversed, so their appendix is in the left lower quadrant of their abdomen.

Here is a good intro to appendicitis:

http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/digestive-diseases-appendicitis

Are you okay now wollie? It's been a few days -- hopefully the pain went away.

Thanks berkeman the pain has sort of gone all about, most in my right back and even in the hip, it sort of moves about, but it is not too worrisome, the only thing that is of alarm is i feel it in my right cream cracker, i am sure it will go away soon.

Are you staying pretty well hydrated? If it has anything to do with kidney stones, hydration is your friend. How are your bowel movements? Normal colored stools? Do you feel okay other that the low-level pain? Any nausea or digestion issues? Have you had any fever?

When would be the next time when it would be convenient to see your doctor? Even though it's a low-level pain, it could be a symptom of something important going on.

berkeman said:
Are you staying pretty well hydrated? If it has anything to do with kidney stones, hydration is your friend. How are your bowel movements? Normal colored stools? Do you feel okay other that the low-level pain? Any nausea or digestion issues? Have you had any fever?

When would be the next time when it would be convenient to see your doctor? Even though it's a low-level pain, it could be a symptom of something important going on.

I hate to talk about BM's but they very from good to solid and and gush, thing is i am perplexed as, any amount of poking will not induce pain, just a generalised back ache and a sort of stinging in the right hip.

berkeman said:
How close does this come?

http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/sciatica-topic-overview

You should still see your doc as soon as it's convenient, my friend.

I guess i am putting this down to a previous injury, i did bust my pelvice many years ago, the docs said i may have a right leg that is shorter than the left, and i have been so lucky,
this did not occur ,may be it is just age related? whatever, i can still move about with a few catches (ouches), other than that i am fine.

wolram said:
I guess i am putting this down to a previous injury, i did bust my pelvice many years ago, the docs said i may have a right leg that is shorter than the left, and i have been so lucky,
this did not occur ,may be it is just age related? whatever, i can still move about with a few catches (ouches), other than that i am fine.
We can probably rule out acute appendicitis since you aren't dead yet, but you could have an infection that could get serious.

It could be your kidneys or liver. It could be your gall bladder. You might have a small rodent lodged in your colon. GO TO THE DOCTOR. But you are just like me, stubborn, and you won't go until you are almost dead and need 3 surgical procedures to drag your stomach out of your esophagus and keep you from bleeding to death internally.

this is sort of a shot in the dark and may sound weird to you, but since you mentioned the injury and uneven legs... if your abdominal fat layer is not too thick, seek around your abdominal wall with your fingers looking for contractile knots. these are also known as myofacial trigger points. it's an area where part of the muscle is injured and a few fibers, but not the whole muscle, stay contracted. if you find one, you want to massage it. it will hurt when you do. not unbearable pain, but pretty bad. i had one show up in my front abs on the right side recently after doing hanging leg lifts and chins.

if you've got a lot of those nasty things, you might want to invest in Clair Davies' book.

otoh, if you've got a fever, go to the hospital, you may be dying.

What is appendicitis?

Appendicitis is a medical condition in which the appendix becomes inflamed and swollen. The appendix is a small pouch-shaped organ located in the lower right side of the abdomen. If left untreated, appendicitis can lead to serious complications such as a ruptured appendix.

What are the symptoms of appendicitis?

The most common symptom of appendicitis is abdominal pain, usually starting near the belly button and then moving to the lower right side of the abdomen. Other symptoms may include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, fever, and constipation or diarrhea. It is important to note that symptoms may vary from person to person.

How is appendicitis diagnosed?

A doctor will typically perform a physical examination and ask about your symptoms to diagnose appendicitis. They may also order imaging tests such as an ultrasound or CT scan to confirm the diagnosis. Blood tests may also be done to check for signs of infection.

What does appendicitis feel like?

The pain associated with appendicitis is often described as a sharp, intense pain in the lower right side of the abdomen. Some people may also experience a dull, constant ache. The pain may worsen with movement or coughing. Other common symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and loss of appetite may also be present.

How is appendicitis treated?

The most common treatment for appendicitis is surgery to remove the inflamed appendix, known as an appendectomy. This can be done through traditional open surgery or laparoscopic surgery. In some cases, antibiotics may be prescribed to treat the infection. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you suspect you have appendicitis, as a ruptured appendix can be life-threatening.