Number of quarks inside a nucleon

In summary, determining the number of quarks inside the nucleon can be done through the Gross-Llewellyn-Smith sum rule, which is equal to three based on neutrino-nucleon scattering data. This sum rule can be derived from two equations involving the valence and sea quark distributions and can also be expressed as two equations in two unknowns. However, there are oversimplifications in this sum rule and experimentally it is around two-and-a-half. The systematic error in the experimental value is estimated to be +/- 0.078. The valence quarks can be calculated by subtracting the sea quarks from the total quark distribution, but this does not result in an integer answer when integrating using GLS.
TheMan112
I've been banging my head against the wall for days now trying to figure out how one determines the number of quarks inside the nucleon.

I understand it comes from the fact that the Gross-Llewellyn-Smith sum rule is equal to three:

[tex]\int ^1 _0 F_3 ^N (x) = \int ^1 _0 (u_V (x) + d_V (x)) = 3[/tex]

This is based on neutrino-nucleon scattering data, a professor at my uni told me that it is derivable from these two equations:

[tex]\frac{d \sigma^{\nu N}}{dx} = \frac{G^2 M E}{\pi} x (q(x) + \bar q (x) /3)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d \sigma^{\bar \nu N}}{dx} = \frac{G^2 M E}{\pi} x (\bar q(x) + q (x) /3)[/tex]

Where N is your average nucleon.

I don't know if this something that should follow naturally but I feel rather lost. :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about as two equations in two unknowns: get qV(x) on one side and integrate it.

I was unclear - the two unknowns I was speaking of are q_V(x) and qbar(x). (i.e. the valence and sea distributions). Pull q_V to one side, integrate it, and G&L-S tell you it's 3.

Am I supposed to get [tex]q_V (x)[/tex] from [tex]q(x)[/tex] but keep [tex]\bar q(x)[/tex]? I tried to extract [tex]q(x)[/tex] from the system of equations, but I got a rather messy expression:

[tex]q(x) = \frac{9 \pi}{8 G^2 M E} \frac{1}{x} \left(\frac{1}{3} \frac{d \sigma^{\bar \nu N}}{dx} - \frac{d \sigma^{\nu N}}{dx}\right)[/tex]

Not least when one would be integrating this, by parts and all. ;)

Edit: I suppose a better formulation might be; how do I get [tex]F_3 ^N (x)[/tex] from the last two equations (in the first post).

Last edited:
qV = q - qbar.

It's probably also worth pointing out that there are many oversimplifications that go into the G&L-S sum rule. Experimentally, it's around two-and-a-half, but what was surprising wasn't that it wasn't exactly three, but that it wasn't even farther off.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's probably also worth pointing out that there are many oversimplifications that go into the G&L-S sum rule. Experimentally, it's around two-and-a-half, but what was surprising wasn't that it wasn't exactly three, but that it wasn't even farther off.
I agree, but would like to point out that the gluon radiation (or any name you give to higher orders in the evolution) come in excellent agreement with the data.

Sum_GLS(3 GeV^2) = 2.50 +/- 0.018 (stat) +/- 0.078 (syst) (CCFR collaboration Fermilab, Phys Lett B331 1994 655)
compared to 2.66 +/- 0.04 expected from CTEQ95 for instance.

humanino said:
Sum_GLS(3 GeV^2) = 2.50 +/- 0.018 (stat) +/- 0.078 (syst) (CCFR collaboration Fermilab, Phys Lett B331 1994 655)
compared to 2.66 +/- 0.04 expected from CTEQ95 for instance.

Does (syst) stand for systematic error? How do they estimate it?

In analogue with my last post I come to the expression for the antiquarks:

[tex]\bar q (x) = \frac{9 \pi}{8 G^2 M E} \frac{1}{x} \left(\frac{1}{3} \frac{d \sigma^{\nu N}}{dx} - \frac{d \sigma^{\bar \nu N}}{dx} \right)[/tex]

The valence quarks can be calculated by subtracting [tex]q(x)[/tex] and [tex] \bar q (x)[/tex] as Vanadium suggested:

[tex]q_V (x) = q (x) - \bar q (x) = \frac{\pi}{G^2 M E} \frac{1}{x} \frac{3}{2} \left( \frac{d \sigma^{\bar \nu N}}{dx} - \frac{d \sigma^{\nu N}}{dx}\right)[/tex]

I'm not sure how one reaches an integer answer when integrating this expression using GLS.

What is a nucleon?

A nucleon is a subatomic particle that makes up the nucleus of an atom. It can refer to either a proton or a neutron.

How many quarks are there inside a nucleon?

There are three quarks inside a nucleon. Specifically, there are two "up" quarks and one "down" quark in a proton, and two "down" quarks and one "up" quark in a neutron.

What are quarks?

Quarks are subatomic particles that make up protons and neutrons, which make up the nucleus of an atom. They are considered to be the building blocks of matter.

Why are there only three quarks inside a nucleon?

This is a fundamental property of the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding quarks together to form protons and neutrons. The strong force can only bind three quarks together, which is why there are three quarks inside a nucleon.

What is the significance of the number of quarks inside a nucleon?

The number of quarks inside a nucleon is significant because it determines the particle's properties, such as its mass and charge. It also helps to explain the stability and structure of the nucleus of an atom.