Should I Pursue Engineering or Math Given Financial and Time Constraints?

• Thread starter sapphei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the speaker has been in and out of school since high school graduation in 1999 and never saw a purpose in education until taking Calculus I and II. They have always wanted to be an engineer, but are concerned about running out of financial aid due to past addiction struggles. They have only taken up to Calculus II and would need at least 4 years to complete an engineering degree. The speaker is considering taking out a loan or getting a part-time job to help with finances, but is unsure about the best course of action.
sapphei
I'll keep it short and to the point.

I'm 28, I've been in and out of school since HS graduation in 99, never felt there was a purpose to school, I went because I enjoyed learning but could care less about grades, It wasn't until I took Cal I and II that I was actually excited and intrigued. I've always wanted to be an engineer, problem is I've wanted to be a lot of things.
The point is, for those 10 years of on and off addiction binges to school, my financial aid will most likely run out if I pursue engineering, I've only taken up to Cal II, zero engineering classes. It would take at least 4 years from this fall or spring for engineering. It would only take two years or 4 semesters (16 or 17 hrs per semester) for math.
I've heard of ppl running out of financial aid, and I don't want to be one of those people.
What do u think?

By the way, I got a B in Cal I and an A in Cal II.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
take out a loan, money should not be an issue, consider it an investment.

Well if you are really serious about becoming an engineer, you should go and do it. However, I can't really answer your question on finances, for that you should talk to whoever is giving you financial aid. Also you could consider getting a student loan from the bank/a part time job to help you get through school and if you still have money trouble you could always do school part time. It will take longer but it'll be easier to pay for your schooling that way if you lack funds.

1. What is the difference between engineering and math?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and develop solutions to real-world problems. Math, on the other hand, is a branch of science that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes.

2. Is engineering more practical while math is more theoretical?

While engineering does involve practical applications, both fields require a combination of theoretical and practical knowledge. Engineers use mathematical concepts to solve practical problems, and mathematicians often use real-world scenarios to develop and test theories.

3. Can someone be good at both engineering and math?

Absolutely! Many engineers have a strong background in math and use mathematical principles in their work. Similarly, many mathematicians have a strong understanding of engineering principles and use them in their research.

4. Which field has better job prospects, engineering or math?

Both engineering and math have a high demand for skilled professionals. The job prospects may vary depending on the specific industry and field of study, but both offer numerous opportunities for career growth and advancement.

5. Do engineering and math require different skill sets?

While both fields require strong problem-solving skills and logical thinking, there are some key differences in the required skill sets. Engineering often requires practical skills such as design and technical knowledge, while math requires abstract reasoning and strong analytical skills.