Creating a Cooled CPU System for Over-Clocking

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a liquid cooling system for a CPU in order to improve overclocking performance. The benefits and potential risks of using such a system are discussed, as well as suggestions for researching and designing it effectively. It is also mentioned that liquid cooling is generally more efficient than air cooling.
sampro
Hi all.
I want to create a Cooler for my CPU to better over-clocking
Because heat has a negative affect on cpu performance and because of my fancy.

I speak about a closed tube that a liquid is injected in it. It should be has a little vacuum, because when the liquid is heated and therefore expanded the tube has extra space to prevent exploding. Also a pump is inserted in this closed circuit somewhere to create flow.Both side (Cooling side and CPU side) has heatsink.

I want to know can it cool the CPU. Is it better than a single fan?

Is there an other liquid that was similar water but without the conductivity of water?Because water-if leak- can damage boards.

What is ur suggestion about this system to enhance it.

Thanks in advance

Also excuse me for my bad English

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
You can buy liquid coolers for CPU's. They have gone through all the design issues already.

oh no
I want to create it myself because of my fancy.
Have u any idea or opinion?

In that case, I would still start with the commercial coolers - look at several, make sure you understand the design, and can reproduce the stated design parameters - in particular, can you calculate the cooling, and do you get the same answer the manufacturer claims? Only after that can you be relatively confident that you are ready to design one yourself.

You should probably learn about how air conditioning works, as it works in a similar manner. Additionally, if you're going to do it completely yourself, you should learn the thermodynamics math that goes with it. Otherwise, you might cool too little or cool too much, wasting power/money. Your local library should have a book on this, if it's well stocked, or you could look online.

I also recommend you purchase a cheap computer to test it on, in the event it doesn't function as planned. It would truly suck if you forgot one little thing and you overheater your overclocked computer. This way you can work out any design/construction bugs before you risk damaging your expensive computer.

You are a brave soul :)
There is a liquid for this purpose, but it's very expensive: Fluorinert, by 3M
I hope I spelled that correctly...

Anyway, it was used to cool some Crays and is still used in the electronics industry for researching part failures and developing high voltage power supplies.

An idea that I never pursued was the cooler system driving small generators.
As Mike mentioned, something along the 3M product lines that produces a high pressure gas, use that to drive a series of two or more small, high speed turbines, (air tools used in dental practice) a place to start research.

I have seen no attempts in this area, but I have not kept up with new technology for the last few years.
The right design would actually cool the entire computer, just make sure condensation is properly handled inside and out.

Jump on it.:smile:

RonL

I would try it on something else before using it in your computer, though. That could be expensive if it goes wrong. Unless you want to build a computer from scratch as well.:wink:

sampro said:
I speak about a closed tube that a liquid is injected in it. It should be has a little vacuum, because when the liquid is heated and therefore expanded the tube has extra space to prevent exploding. Also a pump is inserted in this closed circuit somewhere to create flow.Both side (Cooling side and CPU side) has heatsink.

I want to know can it cool the CPU. Is it better than a single fan?

oooh, I don't know about the bolded part. If you create a vacuum the liquid will probably boil off and fill it...no vacuum. Perhaps some space filled with air for the liquid to expand into, but that might cause pumping issues. Either way I don't think that's much of an issure. I imagine that properly chosen pipes should be able to easily expand to adjust to the tiny liquid thermal expansion.

Unless the liquid (water) freezes...

But yes, liquid cooling is generally much more efficient than air cooling.

1. How does cooling affect CPU performance when over-clocking?

Cooling is crucial for over-clocking a CPU because as the CPU runs at higher speeds, it generates more heat. This heat can cause the CPU to slow down or even shut down completely, resulting in decreased performance. By keeping the CPU cool, you can maintain stable and optimal performance while over-clocking.

2. What types of cooling systems are best for over-clocking?

There are several types of cooling systems that are commonly used for over-clocking, including air cooling, liquid cooling, and phase change cooling. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks, but generally, liquid and phase change cooling are more effective in dissipating heat and are recommended for heavy over-clocking.

3. How do you determine the appropriate cooling system for your CPU?

The type of cooling system you need depends on the amount of over-clocking you plan to do and the type of CPU you have. It's important to do research and consult with experts to determine the best cooling system for your specific CPU and over-clocking goals.

4. Can over-clocking damage my CPU?

Over-clocking can potentially damage your CPU if not done properly. It's important to monitor temperatures and make sure they stay within safe levels. Over-clocking also puts additional stress on the CPU, so it's important to have a good cooling system in place to prevent damage.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when creating a cooled CPU system for over-clocking?

In addition to the cooling system, it's important to also consider the quality of the CPU itself, the power supply, and the motherboard. These components can affect the stability and performance of the over-clocked CPU. It's also important to regularly clean and maintain the cooling system to ensure it is functioning properly.